Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dorf House  (Read 2250 times)

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
Re: Dorf House
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 10:22:32 am »

Yeah this house is TOTALLY impractical.  In that sense its 'dwarfy'...but its really more elfish in my opinion.  Too artsy (and postmodern art at that...BLECH!).  Imagine paying this guy a buttload of yen, and telling him you want privacy...and he comes back with a glass walled first floor!!!  Oh but its sunk three feet and the lawn is a three foot burm.  Notice in the pictures that anyone walking along the sidewalk can look over the burm right down into your kitchen.  You really nailed that privacy part Makoto Tanijiri.

And now you gotta mow that lawn!  Fun!  And the two story drop with no railing whatsoever in the dead center of the KIDS room was REALLY great design.  Makoto is teaching the western world to take risks huh? 

I hate architecture artists.  Theyre so full of themselves, they are wannabe 'visionaries'.  This jerkoff didnt stop to think about the family living in this home for two seconds.  Half the house is taken up by the kids room, most of which is empty space high above you, unusable for anything.
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Gothmog

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands item in bedroom
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 10:58:11 am »

[...]
I hate architecture artists.  Theyre so full of themselves, they are wannabe 'visionaries'.  This jerkoff didnt stop to think about the family living in this home for two seconds.  Half the house is taken up by the kids room, most of which is empty space high above you, unusable for anything.
QFT
Couldn't agree more.

At first I thought it looks kinda cool with the black walls and whatnot but... look at the planning sketches. 3 floors? With a fuckhuge holes in the middle? One made with walls out of glass? REALLY? This thing wastes floorspace like there is not tomorrow, but hey that's alright, I bet they have more then enough room in cramped little japan.  :P

Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 12:10:50 pm »

I think that awful is a good word.
The reason houses tend towards certain rules is so people can live in them.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 11:48:51 am »

Gothmog, Granite26, Maggarg, MrGimp:

Bah! Efficiency is for poor people! I, for one, support wasting space in things like towers, weird angles and lawns. Maybe a gargoyle or two if I can get away with it. And judging by the tendency of people to live in suburbs rather than in large apartment blocks and the public parks found in most cities, so do other folks.

Sure, it'd be nice if something could be both pretty and practical, but if that cannot be achieved, prettyness should come first.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 12:03:12 pm »

My suggestion for unique improvement to it:
Take out the lower staircase and replace it with hanging bars(sloped monkeybars hung from the upper stairs. For bonus points, use them as a ladder to replace the stairs entirely).
Much more efficient, plus you get a good workout every time you go upstairs!

Plus, it would be incredibly unique!
Eh?
Eh!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 12:22:36 pm »

1: Admittedly I do live downtown (in a townhouse).

2: I would say that the suburbs are paragons of (individual) efficiency.  Your argument assumes 'efficiency' to mean social efficiency rather than personal efficiency.  Social efficiency doesn't regard large personal space and distance from others as a value.  Thus, tight apartments and shared social spaces are valued as more 'efficient' than suburbs because they provide the goods that society (as an entity) values.

Space is a cost, but it is priced differently by society (which sees large benefits for people being close together) and individuals (which don't like to hear their neighbors fighting)  Efficiency is a measure of the benefits (things like private space) you get for the cost (things like public space denied)

I say the house is inefficient because of the high public space denied for the lower private space created.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 06:20:54 am »

My criticality is towards the idea that it is a problem localized to America. While I would appreciate more inspiration in housing designs, generally such houses are not designed for style but practicality. Such designs are used world wide. Again, while I know the issue exists I take offense to the idea America is the only one who needs to learn from this. Then again, the site did say western countries so I guess Europe is in this with them.

A monolith house would be cool, but there appears to be very little livable space. And a lack of guard rails.

If it's a PROBLEM in US for you, you are definitely not living in Russia :).

For me a raw of similar-looking houses which state a type/character of a district is 100 times better than an "original" multi-store house popping out of a group of historical buildings just because some dickhead had money to build it there.

We have a lot of such things in big cities in Russia. There's a lot of corruption and overly-paid people who do nothing but have ability to ruin historical landscapes and city centers just "because they can" >:(.

A big Gazprom (oil/gas monopoly) sign on a roof of a building which was a writer's house is another example. We have much more.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:22:27 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 [2]