Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Migrants  (Read 650 times)

NiknudStunod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:54:28 pm »

Is there any slowdown in migrants.  I have been playing for a few months and the reason I always abandon a fort is from to many migrants and me getting over whelmed with what to do with them.  I have thought on taking the same stance the US does on its southern borders.  I was thinking of building a wall to completely surround the map but am not sure if they will find a way through.  If there is any way to slow down migration please help I do not want to start a border patrol.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:14:21 pm »

First method : don't care about them. You're not forced to give them rooms or even to provide enough food for everyone.
Second method : kill a few waves. They generally understand the thing and stop coming. Well, in fact, a high mortality rate makes migrant less numerous.

Also, why don't you use interrogation points and commas ?

NiknudStunod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 07:34:14 pm »

I am lazy?

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 07:54:29 pm »

You can also set a population max in your init.txt.  In data\init\init.txt, change this line:

[POPULATION_CAP:200]

To, say:

[POPULATION_CAP:50]

It's not an exact science (a migrant wave can send you well over the number), but once you're over the number, there will be no future migrants until you're below it again.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.