Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some random stuff about a new world and a new fort of mine.  (Read 1032 times)

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, i had this "new" idea to fashion myself a fort, and i decided to make myself some new worlds featuring orcs (thanks to the awesome mod).
I made a dozen or so, deciding on one named "Sil Lathon".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Its the year 500, so likely all megabeasts are dead, luckily all civs are "alive", well, some barely though, more on that later.
First i looked around a bit, embarking here and there. I embarked on a dark fortress, a goblin one. Well, if you call 6 goblins and 65 dwarfs a dark goblin fortress.
One of the things i noticed though were a bowdwarf and a lasher dwarf, i never noticed something like this before, its no fair, i want to have whip wielding dwarves.  :'(

Then i set out to actually find myself a place to embark on.
I found a nice haunted temperate freshwater swamp/wilderness mountain, featuring a nicely located brook, a magmapipe and a bottomless pit in a 3x3 area (they fit in a 2x2 area to though, but i wanted the magmapipe nicely centered).
This embarking site also has a relatively big woodland area, low z levels, lots of sand, dolomite, andesite, gabbro, basalt and granite.

I embarked with a good amount of tetrahedrite and an anvil, i decided to only bring a small amount of plump helmet, pig tail and sweet pod seeds, and a small amount of drinks. Plan was to build a big fortress around the magmapipe with a massive empty moat around it. To not "uglyfy" the area with my temporary fortress i could conveniently make it inside the hopefully one day finished moat via cavein, obviously. In fact only one corner of the would be moat is place enough to fit my temp fortress in. Ah, nicely tugged in, close to the brook, on the edge of the mountainous area, although, first lets allo haul that stuff over here because i happened to embark pretty far away from where i want my temp fort to be, and really close to the open magmapipe here. "job canceled,... fire imp...." oh shit, there goes the neighbourhood, three extremely aggressive imps. (seriously, i never seen imps run around a map like this before) obviously set the place afire. You should have seen it, its a miracle none of my dwarves were injured, even when they decided to simply have a drink and a meal which were at the time located inside a giant ring of fire on a small patch of save (from fire) obsidian.

The spreading fire did burn, or rather boil a grimeling, and an alligator seemed to have simply jumped into the magmapipe, which is sad because i would of wanted to catch it. Anyways, after that came some more grimelings, i never encountered them before but they are a pest, only coming in one at a time though, but relentless and surprisingly strong, strangling dwarves and able to easily kill them if i don't defend with at least a two strong party. And they keep on coming until one of them decided to "take a nap" in one of the ponds (for a year now, haha, gonna kill it soon though).

Finally a nice defensive wall around the entrance of my temp fort, hmm, isn't it about time dwarves came to trade though? I haven't had any migrants either. Elves came though, "yay" i guess, then humans, thats better, although, they better run 'cause a vile force of darkness just about arrived at the same freaking time. Ah, they made it, quickly close the bridge, now, to trade for some iron bolts, and the sieging orc party is effectively decimated. But, still no migrants, and my dwarves are having a few grudges against each other, luckily also a few couples, hope they breed soon though because i desperately need some workforce.

I'm now in my third year, got a goblin ambush party (surprisingly they were the most difficult to defend from, even though they consisted of one petty sword goblin and a few wrestlers), got a 3 squad orc siege commanded by an axelord leading a pike squad, a macelord leading a wrestler squad and lasher leading a sniper squad. I utterly decimated the pike and wrestler party with stacks of +orc bone bolts+, killing the macelord in question also. (i was able to lure him inside my fortress, while keeping every other orc out somehow, at the time two trading elves were at the trade depot, one somehow didn't die), the axelord managed to escape and the sniper party (luckily) routed.

So, this is turning out to be one of the funnest forts i've had, although i woulld want my dwarves  to party lots more to make them at least "happy" (two or so are pretty much always ecstatic though), even feeding them with legendary syrup roast isn't doing the trick yet, but i also don't want them ignoring important work, for example a save walkway to the magmapipe to melt iron orc gear to make much needed armor out of, basically things for survival. (because the sniper party looked terrifying and i need to be prepared for when they show up again)

A more pressing problem is finding a way to keep my dwarves from becoming "no good" champions, they already are at competent marksdwarves level. Should i maybe devote one dwarf to becoming a highly skilled marksdwarf, although i really can't miss much workforce and they all have important skills.

On an unrelated note, these are popping up everywhere: "engraved on the wall is a -designed image of Oddom Shipfrost, the dwarf by Litast Atîrbisek Delethtazor. Oddom Shipfrost is traveling. The artwork relates to the flight of the dwarf Oddom Shipfrost into The Most Wall in 121."
Just thought it was amusing. :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:48:39 pm by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.