Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Concerning the religious arc, what is each category?  (Read 2541 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Concerning the religious arc, what is each category?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 02:40:55 pm »

Yeah, I'd hate to, um, "sacrifice" elven prisoners.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 02:55:42 pm »

Oh, man, an evil god would be like the most obnoxious noble ever.

"I want two more altars, this time made of crystal glass. And sacrifice more dogs, or I'll make your military go berserk one at a time!"

Oh lord, what if this becomes the new HFS?

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 02:59:17 pm »

Sorry for the double post, but...

Yeah, I'd "hate" to, um, sacrifice elven "prisoners".

Fixed that for you.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 03:17:30 pm »

*Sacrifices a kitten to the Toady God*

*You are struck by lightning
*sacrifices money to Toady God. (P.S. Toady God is God of Coding, Dwarfs, and Kittens.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 03:28:09 pm »

I remember seeing earlier that one of the differences between a Force and a God is that a Force is basically a creature or animal while a god is a sentient being.

However I am pretty sure either my memory is flawed or Toady abandoned that idea.

Also interestingly enough the Religious Arc is called the "Diety Arc" which means that Gods will become much more interesting around the same time we will be able to play them.

Though I somehow thing Toady will do a few things to gods before Version 2 rolls around.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 03:31:33 pm by Neonivek »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 03:44:12 pm »

It would be cool if a god also had an "avatar", a physical embodiment of him.  Obviously would be very hard to kill, and could throw fire/ raise undead/ summon megabeasts/ regenerate/ whatever.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 06:04:36 pm »

If gods can directly affect the game, I think forces have the best chance to be crazy-badass.

Sure they can't do anything to kill you directly, but they could teleport you to the Jurassic era or something unpleasant.
spoiler for chrono trigger of all things
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 06:39:10 pm »

I like the idea of gods just having vague impacts on the fort.  If you embark on a site with a magma pipe, then you have to deal with the spirit of the magma pipe.  Maybe a dwarf with the right sensitivities would get possessed and build an obsidian idol that could be "built" into a shrine, and then designated as a room, whereupon the spirit would occupy your fort like a noble, making demands and requiring maintenance.  Good relations keep the pipe filled or even grants boons, like cool artifact possessions, while bad relations lead to higher imp populations and spontaneous combustion of magma forges.

Major deities, like war or fertility, could impact frequency of combat trances or twins.  Keeping the god of sustanance happy means your dudes need less food to stay happy, or maybe your chef creates more masterwork meals than he might otherwise.  Sylvan genii make trees grow faster or die out, animal spirits influence populations, etc, etc, etc.

I love the possibilities for fortress mode.
I brake for stumble bumblings

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 06:52:39 pm »

Oh, i smell sphere combinations screwing over some players.

God of Elves, Water and The sun

So you get an endless drought from killing off the elves, or the sun burns down the forts farms for messing with the water.

Oh, this arc is going to be tasty.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 07:20:19 pm »

Another thing I've noticed is that whereas forces are listed as, well, forces, regardless of whom worships them, gods follow the shape of their believers.

This sort of encourages my impression that forcess will play a "GreatOldOnish" role
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 08:11:16 pm »

"All my dwarves appear to be worshipping Cthulhu, god of madness, water and stars. This fort is either the coolest thing I've ever seen, or the quickest fort I've ever built."

EDIT: probably both.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:24:51 pm by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 06:28:56 am »

It would certainly come as a surprise if killing some elf merchants resulted in a demon attack.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 07:04:52 pm »

If I'm reading the way they've been portrayed in ThreeToe's stories correctly, forces are basically the spirit of a certain place (as people have said) that can manifest physically (or not).

So basically if you went into the domain of some spirit that protected wildlife and started killing wolves to train your skills, you'd probably be in trouble either due to horrible cursed-ness or an actual beatdown by a spirit. Fun either way.

LOSNR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2009, 03:35:26 am »

Oh, man, an evil god would be like the most obnoxious noble ever.

"I want two more altars, this time made of crystal glass. And sacrifice more dogs, or I'll make your military go berserk one at a time!"

I suspect that they wouldn't be that much harder to deal with than normal nobles.

Urist McDeity cancels Smite: Admiring magma elevator.
Pages: 1 [2]