Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some Geophysics Perhapse?  (Read 1142 times)

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Some Geophysics Perhapse?
« on: June 10, 2009, 06:54:06 am »

Hello,

Just wanted to suggest the possibility of more geophysical features such as:

Hydrothermal Vents: where water percolates up from an intersection of magma and aquifer, rich in minerals but boiling water and magma mixing produces steam and much fun.

Faulting: lines where the layers are shifted against each other, and occasionally shift further apart, earthquakes could lead to interesting consequences for poorly supported rooms as well as ones cutting it becoming split and shifted apart.

Pressurised magma: most magma is actually under overpressure in the earth, so connecting it up would be a great deal more difficult.

Varying Viscosity: some magma is more fluid than others, fluid magma tends to form a cap with tubes of flow radiating downhill, while thicker magma forms domes, which build up into large piles of thick cooled crust with a less so centre, which collapse in a very fun way when too high.

Dyking and sills: In the real world, magma more often than not travels as a dyke, meters in scale, cutting up from a magma chamber, forcing through layers and away from the source in an arch till it breaches the surface to erupt, one of these intersecting your fort would be interesting. Sills occur where a dyke terminates at a tougher layer, spreading out along it over x and y directions, but not through z.

Various stages of evolution for magma: perhaps a volcano, the magma chamber mostly cooled with clusters of geodes at the top and many frozen dykes radiating from it.

I am not sure if these are possible to implement, or would be of use, but may well be interesting or infuriating.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 07:05:43 am by TauQuebb »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Some Geophysics Perhapse?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:49:15 am »

Hello,

Just wanted to suggest the possibility of more geophysical features such as:

Hydrothermal Vents: where water percolates up from an intersection of magma and aquifer, rich in minerals but boiling water and magma mixing produces steam and much fun.

Faulting: lines where the layers are shifted against each other, and occasionally shift further apart, earthquakes could lead to interesting consequences for poorly supported rooms as well as ones cutting it becoming split and shifted apart.

Pressurised magma: most magma is actually under overpressure in the earth, so connecting it up would be a great deal more difficult.

Varying Viscosity: some magma is more fluid than others, fluid magma tends to form a cap with tubes of flow radiating downhill, while thicker magma forms domes, which build up into large piles of thick cooled crust with a less so centre, which collapse in a very fun way when too high.

Dyking and sills: In the real world, magma more often than not travels as a dyke, meters in scale, cutting up from a magma chamber, forcing through layers and away from the source in an arch till it breaches the surface to erupt, one of these intersecting your fort would be interesting. Sills occur where a dyke terminates at a tougher layer, spreading out along it over x and y directions, but not through z.

Various stages of evolution for magma: perhaps a volcano, the magma chamber mostly cooled with clusters of geodes at the top and many frozen dykes radiating from it.

I am not sure if these are possible to implement, or would be of use, but may well be interesting or infuriating.

I really want that.

Why?

You asking me weather or not i want to see a volcano destroy an entire map fortress and all or not.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:02:26 pm »

I support all of them but faulting.  That really seems painful to implement, and I wouldn't imagine it adding much to a currently running fortress beyond a random "screw you."

Actually, if it only did earthquakes in world gen or offscreen, that would be great and a lot easier to set up.  The occasional town laid to ruin would be pretty interesting.  And it could be salvaged easily in the magic phase for cool stuff to cause.

What about cooling lava becoming more viscous?

Hmm.  What does everyone think about sinkholes?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 04:23:52 pm »

Yes to everything but earthquakes, some of that would have to be confined to worldgen I think though (wouldn't it be funny if you found worldgen dwarf fortresses flooded with magma, just like the real ones?). Earthquakes sound wonky to implement.

In general, I think DF needs more sheer cliffs, clefts, sinkholes, large CAVERNS (not the puny caves like we have now, but big open spaces), ice bridges, and other geological artifacts that we should be able to get away with. I would especially like to see bottomless pits reach to the surface.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 04:31:00 pm »

You may have a point about faulting, but I'd still love to create a Fortress that spanned a fault, complete with flexible "earthquake-proof" bridges.
For they would be your masters.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 05:48:21 pm »

I'd love to have earthquakes (as well as the rest of that stuff) as long as there were ways to over-engineer your fortress to mitigate their effects. Stuff like vaulted ceilings and steel supports (that are different from regular rock supports, I mean).
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 06:08:11 pm »

Yeah, I think that would be cool to have, Fossaman.

I'm pretty sure that the places where dwarfs can build is going to be expanded, and if I'm right, then we'll want or need the kinds of things you're suggesting, and more, if our dwarfs are to survive in California.
For they would be your masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 06:13:08 pm »

Isn't the cavern stuff what Toady One is working on right now? I agree though, we do need some real caverns, ones worthy of the Mines of Moria.

Anyhow, I like the ideas here.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 12:36:20 am »

Falut lines sound good. When choosing to embark the warning would be "warning you are choosing to embark on a fault line, you might have
a random "screw you."

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 04:18:50 am »

good point about the magma, as it cools in the chamber, it forms a crystal rich base 'Olivine' and some geodes at the top, but all the time it is getting thicker.

A fault would be easy to spot, with rock formations shifted around, so if you built your dining hall across the line, you would have yourself to blame, but corridors would be easy to fix, a few new stairs and length here and there.

Glad you all like the ideas.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 04:37:02 am »

I would like to see quakes too. The Japanese have lived with quakes for thousands of years as well as the Italians so why not dwarfs?

Earthquakes might imply Tsunamis and map-changes like caveing-in Caverns or moving a part of the map some tiles in anydirection while the other stays in place (Wasnt that room smaller before? And from where comes this gap?).
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 02:09:18 pm »

The same over engineering necessary for earthquakes will likely be (eventually) necessary for defeating the goblin siege weapons that Toady has promised with the improved sieges.

That said, the best order of implementation would probably be: first, improved siege weapon mechanics, then improved engineering, then earthquakes, then quake-proof bridges.

I'm more interested in pressurized lava, even though I'm less likely to get it. I always found lava, unintuitively easy to get. Something should happen when I open up that chamber over the magma pipe.

It would have to be implemented concurrently with some sort of drilling machine, like they're talking about over in the pile-driver thread, so that it was still useful, but it could still be useful.

Plus, lava that can be manipulated through pressure opens up the realm of the giant water tower full of lava to the common man. More people need levers that burn the world.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 04:44:18 am »

well it would all be very fun, I do look forward to better seiges, goblins milling around is a little underwhelming.

Underwater volcanoes would be interesting too, letting them grow and build up as time passes, same with on land volcanoes, the dome occationally collapsing and creating a pyroclastic flow and new land, plus many dwarf shaped statues (see pomeii).

I would have also proposed oil resovoirs, but i believe thats already on the cards somewhere.