Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Three simple changes which would save me hours  (Read 988 times)

HexagonalBolts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Three simple changes which would save me hours
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:38:05 am »

1. Orders not being cancelled when there are no resources left

At the moment all orders are cancelled when a resource runs out, if there was some form of option to resume the order as soon as more resources were available then I wouldn't have to keep going back and selecting 'brew' and 'make bed' over and over again. Although it is useful (possibly fortress-saving) to know when your supply chain isn't working, there must be a better way to make it obvious rather than cancelling all of a player's intricate orders

2. An option to turn certain game-pausing notifications off

At the moment my screen is paused for each and every little thief and child catcher, even in fortresses where they will inevitably be obliterated within a matter of seconds. Sometimes I like to leave my game running after setting up big orders while I go do something else, because if anything important happens the game will be paused. However, sometimes the game is paused entirely uneccessarily so. I think the best possible solution would be to provide the player with an option menu to decide which events they would like the game to be paused automatically for.

3. Making 'Dig out regardless of dampness/heat' a designation

I think there is a 'just dig it out' mod, but it is a feature which anyone who has tried digging under a river or lava knows should be included as standard as a separate designation (a separate designation to the normal 'dig' as players will still need to be warned when they bump in to water/lava unaware).

Disclaimer - Sorry if there are obvious solutions or workarounds to these problems which I haven't discovered or if these problems have already been discussed, I've only recently started talking part in the proper DF community and these are just problems from my personal experience

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Three simple changes which would save me hours
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:55:13 am »

Work orders does point 1. Very poorly I might add but it's there, sort of. The second will be in the next version if I understood things right

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 12:17:41 pm »

Welcome to the community, HexagonalBolts. As it turns out, all three of your suggestions have already been made. Generally we prefer to bump the previous threads (which may have useful discussion in them) rather than make new threads; there's a search feature that can be helpful for finding those old threads.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 12:38:10 pm »

I have the same problems!!! :D
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 01:59:44 pm »

Point 3 solved: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21892.0

Be careful though :(
Wouldn't want you to have too much Fun.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:04:46 pm by detinith »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 03:11:33 pm »

Point 3 solved: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=21892.0

Be careful though :(
Wouldn't want you to have too much Fun.

I keep seeing people direct other people to that, but it looks really old. Does it actually work with the latest versions, or at least 40d?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 03:37:28 pm »

Just so you know, the first one cannot be done until the entire system of work is overhauled.  This is because dwarves don't choose jobs, jobs choose dwarves.  The cancellation of the task is to prevent your computer from freezing as the job checks every cycle for materials to see if it can be done again.  When dwarves choose jobs instead, sometime in the distant future when toady gets around to it (and he has stated that this is not a trivial change, so it maybe one of those multi-month projects) then this will be possible.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 03:54:37 pm »

The cancellation of the task is to prevent your computer from freezing as the job checks every cycle for materials to see if it can be done again.

Doing it every cycle would be bizarre and pointless.  It would be quite easy for the creation/freeing of a new item to trigger the check instead.

But yeah, #1 is encompassed by many, many popular suggestions.

#2 is already implemented for the next release with the new customizable announcements.

detinith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 05:40:12 pm »

I keep seeing people direct other people to that, but it looks really old. Does it actually work with the latest versions, or at least 40d?

Works fine with 40d.