Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Using graphics sets on a different resolution  (Read 1163 times)

weird beard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Using graphics sets on a different resolution
« on: June 10, 2009, 12:52:08 pm »

I recently decided to try out Mayday's graphic sets to play dwarf fortress, but all my attempts to try and use these graphics in 1024x768 have thus far failed. It even looks wrong using it in the suggested resolution (can't remember what that is). I suspect it may require a restart to use the other resolution, and I'd rather not bother, seeing as I'd only wanted to change it back when I was done playing. How do I edit the init.txt file so the game will load correctly under my resolution?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Using graphics sets on a different resolution
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 06:54:08 pm »

use the DF window calculator to find the right settings for your resolution

the mayday tileset is 16x16

http://pkf.olivepeak.com/dwarfcalc.html
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 09:44:36 pm »

The smallest grid size for DF is 80x25.  Any smaller numbers will be ignored, and this default minimum will be used instead.  At a grid width of 80, a 16x16 tileset like Mike Mayday's will require a resolution of 1280.  Since your resolution is 1024x78, the tileset gets squished horizontally to under 13 pixels per tile, thus distorting the image.  You'll need to pick a tileset with a pixel width of 12 per tile or fewer.  Check out the wiki for a good list of tilesets.

If your display handles higher resolutions, the recommended one would probably be 1280x960.  What OS do you have?  I doubt it would require a restart just to change your resolution.  In fact, if you use the fullscreen mode instead of windowed, it should do the switch for you automatically when you start and end the game.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 12:43:41 am »

For example my screen is 1440x900 and I use a 1280x800 window with the grid at [GRID:80:50]. Works great for me.