Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Terminator Salvation  (Read 5260 times)

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
Re: Terminator Salvation
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2009, 02:09:55 pm »

Yea, if you don't think T2 is far and away the best one there's probably something wrong with you. You should consult a psychiatrist or a priest. Or apply magma.

T3's story was well structured, but collapsed under the weight of countless obvious, illusion-shattering impossibilities. Poor acting, camp, and the rather hamfisted handling of the fate vs freewill theme certainly didn't help at all. T2's deep sense of melancholy and despair, coupled with a truly sublime performance by Linda Hamilton, set a high bar that T3 simply failed to reach.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2009, 04:33:40 pm »

I'm curious. No one every mentions what happens to the Chinese, Indians, Australians, etc.

For all we know, everyone else would be at peace, acknowledging the formation of the robotic states, and America is fighting a war alone with itself.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2009, 06:47:14 pm »

SkyNet nuked everyone else.  If it's building giant harvesters and so forth, then it's probably more than capable of attacking outside of Southern California.  Nobody else had as many automated machines, but if SkyNet is as pervasive as T3 claimed it was, then it may have figured out how to take over factories and stamp out terror-bots unit it's proper fighting force could move in.

But yes, every script has pretty much assumed that SoCal is the only part of the planet that exists.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2009, 07:06:14 pm »

Movie sounds terrible and I don't like Christian Bale. The trailer was pretty bad ass though. I think that was mostly due to the Nine Inch Nails song.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2009, 07:07:14 pm »

If Skynet could nuke everyone else, then why did it only nuke Russia according to T3? And if Russia nuked them back, you'd think it would at least target any unfired nukes first. And if Skynet had taken over the entire world, you'd think it wouldn't bother nuking Russia since it can use Russia to nuke itself. And if Skynet did have unfired nukes left over, you'd think the other nuclear powers would take notice of the nuclear bombs going off an a rampant AI going beserk. And if the entire US has been obliterated, how is it that Skynet is able to rebuild factories and all that stuff? Even considering their numbers, I find it hard to believe that they would have enough robots to kill off the rest of the world... I mean... even if it took 10 Indians to kill one terminator, the world would still outnumber them.

Yeah, it's a totally macho Americano movie and the rest of the world is a fictional concept so whatever.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2009, 07:11:45 pm »

But yes, every script has pretty much assumed that SoCal is the only part of the planet that exists.

In movies featuring a cross country road trip you'll often see only city streets and then a shot of the Nevada desert. MAYBE the grand canyon.
This makes sense for logistic reasons, but it looks like the entirety of T4 was shot in the desert or on sound stages. Were they really bound by location constraints anymore?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2009, 02:45:26 pm »

My favorite part in T2 is defiantly when Sarah Conner first runs into the Terminator.  Actually, it's whenever someone first runs into the Toonina---I mean Terminator.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2009, 12:15:51 am »

A better idea. Just send a nuke back in time to where John Conner, Sarah Conner, or her parents, what have you, to the area the lived, and have it blow up as soon as it makes it through the time rift.

No stupid terminator effort required at all.

That should have been skynet's game plan.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2009, 12:40:27 am »

A better idea. Just send a nuke back in time to where John Conner, Sarah Conner, or her parents, what have you, to the area the lived, and have it blow up as soon as it makes it through the time rift.

No stupid terminator effort required at all.

That should have been skynet's game plan.
It would probably end up killing all of the staff required to invent Skynet too. Also, if Skynet didn't send the Terminator back in time, it wouldn't have been invented because the creators used the broken arm and chip of the first Terminator to invent it.

Totally stupidly recursive, but whatever. Them's the breaks. So, the rules of engagement:
1. Skynet must send at least one Terminator so that it will be invented.
2. Skynet cannot risk blowing up or exterminating key figures in its creation.

Hence, my plan of sending in a Terminator to act as a scout, and a giant orbital cannon to commence precision nuking when John Connor et al. are found.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2009, 01:05:06 am »

That was actually kind of explained in the first movie, but their rationale gradually disintegrated as they went on and the special effects got better.

Apparently the time machine operates in such a way that only organics can be sent back. I believe in T1 Sarah Connor asks something like, "Why didn't you just bring a laser cannon to kill the Terminator?" and Kyle Reese responds with something along the lines of, "Only organic matter can be transported. That's why the Terminator needs to have a flesh exterior."

In the next one, however, they don't seem to have any problems sending the T-1000 back, but that came with its own set of constraints that the metal couldn't form any chemicals or moving parts - only blunt or stabbing weapons. However, T3 had no problems giving the Terminatrix a plasma cannon and flamethrower, and it actually retconned the T-800 to be powered by what are essentially hydrogen bombs*, bringing us back to the original question of "Why didn't they just blow everyone up?".

Really the answer is to just shut up and have fun.

* They call them "hydrogen fuel cells", but the way they're portrayed on screen suggests a fusion reaction is involved somehow. This is from the same writers who brought you remote controlled police cars with actuators installed under every foot pedal, though, so go figure.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2009, 01:34:45 pm »

T2 had awesome special effects with the people.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2009, 01:37:32 pm »

Movie sounds terrible and I don't like Christian Bale. The trailer was pretty bad ass though. I think that was mostly due to the Nine Inch Nails song.

Hm...just out of curiosity, what is your problem with Christian Bale? He was pretty awesome in movies like 3:10 to Yuma, The Dark Knight, Harsh Times, Equilibrium etc.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2009, 02:23:59 pm »

Hm...just out of curiosity, what is your problem with Christian Bale? He was pretty awesome in movies like 3:10 to Yuma, The Dark Knight, Harsh Times, Equilibrium etc.

I like him, but I don't like his increasingly repetitive I-growl-every-word-I-say shtick.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2009, 08:57:48 pm »

To me he conveys absolutely zero emotion or vulnerability. I don't mind badass actors but I like them to show some humanity too. I didn't care for 3:10 to Yuma, the Batman movies, or The Prestige. He just seems completely wooden and humorless so I find it hard to root for the protagonist when he's playing it. I know lots of people like him and that's fine, to each their own.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]