Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old Fortresses as trading partners  (Read 1474 times)

Malenfant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Old Fortresses as trading partners
« on: November 12, 2007, 07:59:00 am »

Because of the difficulty of finding a starting location with everything (magma, river, trees, sand, lack of lingering evil presence) I propose you can finish a fortress by setting to to be a trading partner. The game mechanic would be that instead of abandoning a fortress you take the trading partner test. You would have to prove that you could last the winter and local wildlife/unlife and then fill 3-5 trade wagons with the designated good. With this test the game doesn't have to endlessly simulate the entire fortress once you've set it up.

The idea essentially is that you could have seaside fortresses exporting sand, forest fortresses exporting wood, large underground farms exporting food etc etc. You'd never have to worry about finding the ultra perfect starting location; any gap in your supply chain could be met by neighboring fortresses. You could really specialize, have a fortress that just makes panes of glass, another that produces fine silk from its caged giant cave spiders, another that farms huge underground fields of plump helmets.

Perhaps to add an extra layer of difficulty these outposts can only be created by your main fortress, no dump the anvil tactics allowed, only what dwarves and resources you can supply the outpost caravan  :)

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
Re: Old Fortresses as trading partners
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 09:20:29 pm »

Sounds cool.

I don't think most people would go for it, though; most people's idea of abandoning a fortress is LAVA EXPLOSION WHEEEEE

Pardon the bump.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:26:22 pm »

Why on earth are you necroing this to say it probably isn't a good idea?

Note that in the next release there should be some serious stuff going with the caravan arc, in addition to the ability to leave your fortress on 'standby', so it will persist through worldgen but you can play it again at any time.  So I suspect this is in the works anyway.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 10:34:26 pm »

I think this is implicit in giving you an option to leave fortresses that isn't abandoning them.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 11:29:30 pm »

Maybe change "Abandon Fortress" to "Retire Fortress"?
But only if the fortress can cope on its own, if its undersiege, has no food or is flooded then it would be "Abandon Fortress". But if it can survive then you get "Retire Fortress"

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 11:32:56 pm »

I think the framework is already here; where you would normally "succumb to siege" that is your only option.

And yes, that is what I meant, Derakon.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 09:28:42 am »

So more or less there'd be multiple exit options.

(And for the sake of saying it because it's the only method I know. A save game that doesn't make you exit the game.)

So a make fortress into mountainhomes. (Becomes a viable trade partner after certain parameters are met.)

Succumb to siege. (Next possible siege would take the place cause you up and left.)

And maybe a method for just leaving the fortress, but succumbing to siege would be the same more or less.

It is saddening to see such a perfect fort just crumble to its end because you tire of it and it's not put to use.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!