Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I am composing some new music for Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1337 times)

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I am composing some new music for Dwarf Fortress
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:18:59 am »

I have a siege battle theme planned out, as well as some more peaceful "general game time" music.  It will be symphonic/classical style, with a lot of really gutsy low instruments ( French horns, church organ, contrabass, very dwarven instruments I think ).  I might throw some electric guitar and kit drumming, for fun.

Anyway, if you've got any suggestions or ideas for other themes, let me know.  I might get this battle theme done today if I really bust my ass.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: I am composing some new music for Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 10:27:51 am »

I think that's a goALL GLORY TO THE DF MUSIC.
DO NOT TAMPER WITH THE DF MUSIC.
*cough*

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 10:47:11 am »

Hell, as far as I know its not even possible to implement the music in the game so that it'd switch from "main theme" to "battle theme" when a siege comes.  It's more of a fun thing for me.  I actually really like Toady's guitar parts, but a bit of variety never hurts :D

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:54:56 am »

Use a keytar.

Also, your music needs more cowbell.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 10:57:28 am »

There was already a thread for something like this awhile back.  Big group effort type thing.  It might still be going even though the thread seems inactive now.  I do believe Toady has some plans for musical improvement, though.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 11:13:54 am »

There was already a thread for something like this awhile back.  Big group effort type thing.  It might still be going even though the thread seems inactive now.  I do believe Toady has some plans for musical improvement, though.

That's cool.  I actually contacted Toady a few months ago about helping out with the music and he told me he wanted to do it all himself.  Of course, seeing the sheer amount of mods available nowadays, I couldn't help but make my own little contribution...

Use a keytar.

I'm going for dwarfy, not gay.  :P

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:40:20 pm »

This reminds me of one of my favorite features from the old Total Annihilation game. The music was awesome orchestral stuff, and it would normally be really calm, when you were building your forces? But when a battle broke out, it would suddenly change to this broad, sweeping, epic style. Entirely fitting for a game that, in retrospect, might be described as "what happens if Dwarves built an epic civilization?" Seriously, the entire plot of the game is basically "two halves of an immense civilization have undergone tantrum spiral and have utterly destroyed everything in the galaxy with nuclear weaponry while attempting to kill each other." You can even unleash Project Fuck the World a la Boatmurdered... you just do it with nuclear weaponry rather than magma.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 01:16:16 pm »

I've always felt computer games never gave enough attention to context-sensitive music, and sadly the module formats (.mod, .xm, .s3m, .it, etc.) don't really have anything built in to support that. Context-sensitive music in DF would be great.

On the topic of music, a while back I got to thinking how awesome it'd be to have music with the character of the epic themes in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. I know it's weird, but the music in that film has incredible atmosphere. Something with that kind of feeling would really fit DF well.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 01:48:26 pm »

The Tibetan all-cowbell choir needs more cowbell.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 07:12:19 pm »

This reminds me of one of my favorite features from the old Total Annihilation game. The music was awesome orchestral stuff, and it would normally be really calm, when you were building your forces? But when a battle broke out, it would suddenly change to this broad, sweeping, epic style. Entirely fitting for a game that, in retrospect, might be described as "what happens if Dwarves built an epic civilization?" Seriously, the entire plot of the game is basically "two halves of an immense civilization have undergone tantrum spiral and have utterly destroyed everything in the galaxy with nuclear weaponry while attempting to kill each other." You can even unleash Project Fuck the World a la Boatmurdered... you just do it with nuclear weaponry rather than magma.
The contingency plan is technically using alien technology from beyond space.

But I have those tracks on my lappy. Listening to them occasionally.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

ephrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 01:30:23 am »

I've always felt computer games never gave enough attention to context-sensitive music, and sadly the module formats (.mod, .xm, .s3m, .it, etc.) don't really have anything built in to support that. Context-sensitive music in DF would be great.

I totally agree.  Music really adds so much to anything its a part of, can you imagine Star Wars without the Imperial March?  Or Final Fantasy without Uematsu's excellent compositions?  I know I get excited whenever "A Vile Force of Darkness Appears!", I can only imagine what some epic battle music would do :D

That game sounds awesome, and I want it now :D

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 01:39:21 am »

I had this song pop into my head

just the music not the video
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 01:41:18 am by Opirian »
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 01:41:28 am »

I think simply having more of Toady's guitar songs would be awesome.  I know that's not a concern right now but he'll get around to it eventually.  I really like the title song myself.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.