Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tower and Fortification Confusion  (Read 617 times)

Old Skool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tower and Fortification Confusion
« on: June 09, 2009, 02:47:25 pm »

I've searched around the wiki and the forums but cannot seem to find the answers I need.

My dwarfs decided to enhance and protect the entrance to their fortress with a couple of cool fortified towers flanking the entrances. Very cleverly and successfully they enclosed two 7x7 areas with triple thick walls. After which they delved down into the fortress allowing entrance into the towers without having to muck about with any drawbridges or doors.

This is what I built:

WWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWW        W - Wall
WWWWWWWWWWWWW        U - Up Stairs
WWW...U...WWW        D - Downstairs
WWW.......WWW        . - The Ground
WWW...D...WWW        F - Carved Fortification
WWWU..D..UWWW
WWW...D...WWW
WWW.......WWW
WWW...U...WWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWW
WWWWWWWWWWWWW
FFFFFFFFFFFFF

I was planning on wrapping the Fortifications around the entire wall.

My problem is I cannot seem to build upward from here. What exactly do I need to do to raise my tower a couple more levels (or even one level)? I tried the wiki method but that wouldnt work. I cannot build floors or walls on top of the existing walls.

Also, as far as the fortifications go -- will my Marksdwarfs be protected from incoming missiles with one row of carved fortifications? or do I need to fortify all 3 rows of wall? or do I need to build a single row wall and fortify that so my dwarfs can hide behind it?

Thanks in advance for any help. If you know of a helpful that would be nice too.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Tower and Fortification Confusion
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 03:14:22 pm »

Elementary dear watson, walls take up both the area your at and the floor of the Z level above it

so in constructing a basic example of one story:

W=wall
w=floor created by wall (build other walls on these)
F=constructed floors
X=up/down stairs
U=up stairs
Code: [Select]
LV1

WWWWWW
W    W
W UU W
W    W
WWWWWW

Lv2

wwwwww
wFFFFw
wFXXFw
wFFFFw
wwwwww

To answer your second question, 1 row will do.

EDIT: hold on, do you mean you can't actually build walls on walls that exist already? what's the error message?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:18:01 pm by Heliman »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 03:49:38 pm »

First, you didn't need to build the walls triple thick, not until you reach the top. A "wall" can be built both long and wide (X and Y axis), and can form a floor that can be built on.  ("Floors" can't be built on.)  So you didn't need to do that until the top.

My guess is you need to build a "down staircase" on the top of your stairs, to let your dorfs get access to the top of the walls you've built. 

I was planning on wrapping the Fortifications around the entire wall.

Be aware - no way to build a fortification off a corner of a wall. Can't walk on other fortifications, can't get to it.
### ?
WWW#
  W#
  W#
The trick is to build a floor that would be adjacent to that corner area, to give your dorfs access.
   #
WWWf
  W
  W
Now, that lone fortification needs something to support it, so build fortifications along the other edge (around the corner from the floor).
  ##
WWWf
  W
  W

Then use <d>, <n> to deconstruct the floor - that one stone/block will fall, but the corner fortification will be supported by the fortification next to it.
  ##
  W
  W
Replace the floor with a fortification as normal, and you're set.

Old Skool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:36:18 pm »

EDIT: hold on, do you mean you can't actually build walls on walls that exist already? what's the error message?

Yah. That's it. If I try to build on top of existing walls I get a "blocked message" (using b-C-w)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 06:39:02 pm »

It just means that the dwarves can't access the site. Build some flooring alongside it and it will work.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 07:20:01 pm »

Just for your information, fortifications can be carved from constructed walls and still provide a floor above to build things off of, if that makes things any easier.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 09:49:31 pm »

This isn't a very clear problem that's being stated.

Are there down stairs directly above the upstairs the z-level below?

U(p) stair D(own) stair.

Level 1

XXXXX
XXXXX
XXUXX

Level 2

XXXXX
XXXXX
XXDXX
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Old Skool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 11:17:26 pm »

Heh. I was having a couple of confusion issues I've resolved for now. Once I realized I had to go UP a Z-level to place walls for that level it was all hunky dory.  Doh!

Thanks!