Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Skulls as catapult ammo  (Read 3224 times)

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skulls as catapult ammo
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2009, 09:35:09 am »

Skulls wouldn't do much damamge at all. Too much drag, and they're hollow.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2009, 09:59:58 am »

On a more serious note, I think being able to laucn prisoners as bombs would be even more effective-can you imagine the damage to morale from seeing your civilization's greatest warrior ever screaming like a little girl as he is launched to his doom from a catapult?
I doubt most people would be able to recognize who it was in such a short time, given the distances likely involved.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2009, 10:19:23 am »

Actually, their voices would tell them who it was-and those close enough might even be able to see them as they are loaded onto the 'pult. Regardless, they would be identified after impact, and the psychological impact would then kick in. Since the badass warriors tend to have somewhat decorated armor, weapons etc, these might also induce identification.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2009, 08:53:10 pm »

I reckon skull totems should be buildable as buildings. Line your depot with them. And the dining room. AND EVERYTHING ELSE!
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2009, 11:14:09 pm »

Well, at some medieval time, launching dead bodies from catapults was actually practiced, but its main purpose was to spread disease inside a besieged fortress, not to demoralize an invading army.

Dwarves have enough deathtraps. We need more insults!
Didn't you play some old-school MUD or interactive fiction? You'd know for sure that there is never enough deathtraps.
Also, dwarves are honorable people, they probably aren't into insulting their enemy in such a way.

I reckon skull totems should be buildable as buildings. Line your depot with them. And the dining room. AND EVERYTHING ELSE!
Sure, but only if your playing race happens to have [ABUSE_BODIES] in their raws entry. Otherwise, no way, not even with animal skulls. Same with skull thrones or whatever.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 12:46:48 am »

Well, at some medieval time, launching dead bodies from catapults was actually practiced, but its main purpose was to spread disease inside a besieged fortress, not to demoralize an invading army.
So, goblins should be doing this at dwarves then.

to not doublepost:
Dwarves have enough deathtraps. We need more insults!
I'm reminded of the "practice weapons" mod that made all melee weapons use insults for ammunition, incidentally allowing them to be made of wood.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 12:48:35 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 02:03:25 am »

So, goblins should be doing this at dwarves then.

Goblins are foul creatures of legendary vicousness and violent.  They should catapult nastier stuff at dwarves.  I'm thinking chocolate rain.  Some dwarves stay dry while others feel the pain.
Computer says 'No'.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 03:13:41 am »

I'm reminded of the excellent decision not to include fecal matter in the game.  :P
For they would be your masters.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 02:52:23 pm »

I'm reminded of the excellent decision not to include fecal matter in the game.  :P
Not as solid matter, at any rate (full agreement there now). And no army would carry that with them anyway when they can carry rations and damaging ammunition instead.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 05:55:52 pm »

Not as solid matter, at any rate (full agreement there now). And no army would carry that with them anyway when they can carry rations and damaging ammunition instead.

Heh, the ammunition is procured on site.  Any army camping outside a beseiged fortress is bound to generate quite a bit of the foul substance.
Computer says 'No'.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 06:06:06 pm »

Simple argument against it: highly concentrated source of infectious diseases for your OWN men. Just because the bacteria live in the gut doesn't mean they're harmless if they get into the body outside of that area. And fecal material is mostly bacterial matter by mass. Corpses much less so.  So while corpses are viable psychological warfare material, fecal material is NOT.

charl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 07:21:47 pm »

Yeah and corpses are much easier to fire from a catapult. They keep together as a single mass until impact, while excrement is basically fluid (depending on diet) and will fall apart in air and probably fall short of the intended target.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 07:47:04 pm »

The Scythians dipped their arrows in excrement, the Romans turned their swords in offal and excrement, the Vietcong made booby traps with wooden spikes, smeared with it. Let's say dwarves use it if they want to use poison, and there is no  better available. Goblins, on the other hand might do it as a matter of course.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Tradanbattlan

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_DECENCY]
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2009, 07:55:40 pm »

...or as a last-resort attack out of fear.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2009, 07:59:38 pm »

Make a good point...but whether excrement should be included for the purposes of warfare isn't really the purpose of this thread-it's to discuss the potential of using corpses/severed heads as morale-damaging ammunition by a sieging army-or possibly a defending force. Which I think would be interesting especially if you're one of those people (like me) who end up building a "boning" room where enemy corpses are collected and left to rot (then turned into bolts and decorations).

Which, as an aide, it might interesting if at least "evil" siegers/defenders carved their symbol into the face of their victim, in order to damage morale even further.
Pages: 1 [2]