Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Champion Guards & Military Dwarfs  (Read 320 times)

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Champion Guards & Military Dwarfs
« on: June 09, 2009, 10:59:28 am »

So, basically, it seems all my guards are turning into champions...
I have a town with 88 dwarfs, 8 guards and 8 military dwarfs (marksdwarfs and axedwarfs);
not to mention that two of my axedwarfs, although carrying axes, display themselves as wrestlers, one of them achieved champion status, which I found ok... but then a, unarmed guard became a champion too... then another guard... then another... making it three guard champions....

I know champions can't be set work preferences but since they are still shown as "Guard" I'll assume they are still working as guards, right? Being champions should I assign them better weaponry/equipment via the military panel? Should I draft them into one of my squads or leave them as guards and (a)ctivate them when/if the need arises?

Also, another military-related question, I've managed to create some Steel Crossbows, how do make my marksdwarfs change from their current weapons (copper crossbows) to a better equipment?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 11:15:14 am by Grif »

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Champion Guards & Military Dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009, 11:32:15 am »

Dunno about the guards, but for the marksdwarves all you have to do is make 2 or 3 small rooms with a door on each. Then make a weapon stockpile in each one. (q) over the stockpile and press (s)ettings and change one to steel only, one to non-steel and the third to training weapons (Silver, wood)

Now just set the markdwarves for unarmed (may want to put them on duty so they don't start wrestling and get a sock stuck in their hands) and wait for the weapon to be hauled to the non-steel room. Lock the non-steel rooms and reassign them to crossbows. This is also a great way to change between sparring and combat weapons. Note that crossbow material only affects melee, though I think that quality does affect shooting (if thats right then a +wolf bone crossbow+ should be better for shooting than a -steel crossbow-)

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Champion Guards & Military Dwarfs
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 01:45:03 pm »

Yes, your champion guards will still act as guards, I wouldn't give them better equipment unless you want them beating your dwarves that much more easily. :P