Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about animal's pathfinding behavior  (Read 894 times)

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
Question about animal's pathfinding behavior
« on: June 10, 2009, 01:33:45 am »

Do animals try and pathfind if they are in a 1x1 room.  I'm thinking about throwing a bunch of dogs in a pit and letting them breed like crazy but I don't want it to murder my FPS.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Opirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about animal's pathfinding behavior
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 01:40:16 am »

If they are trapped in a 1x1 room where would they path too?
so no it wont murder your FPS

and also, just because im weird, does this not belong in gameplay questions?
Don't go drowning your boss for telling you to work.

damn nobles management.
Minedstockades

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 01:59:28 am »

The size of the room actually doesn't matter. You can stick them in a room with a door and so long as the door is locked and there is no meeting area in the room, they won't path. I've had about 500 animals in a 48x48 room that was locked up with drawbridges and a locked door and it didn't affect my FPS. As soon as I unlock that door and have it tightly closed, FPS drops to some number near 0.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 02:40:12 am »

Hmm, but they do move around while in the room. I'm pretty sure that there is path finding going on, but its limited to the 48*48 area (instead of being limited to the entire map, above and below)
Magma is overrated.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 03:10:05 am »

They do some random movement, but it doesn't seem to incur much if any cost. 3 animals trying to path out of a 2x2 pen slow my system down more than hundreds in that 48x48 pen that can't path out.