Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal Pen?  (Read 668 times)

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
Animal Pen?
« on: June 08, 2009, 10:51:02 am »

If I was to, in turn, assign each animal to a cage in a room with an animals do not pass door, and then let them out.

I'd have a room full of animals, instead of them wandering my halls and getting in the way.

Could the butcher still get them out to slay them?

If each pet owner in turn was lead in there and then walked out a different way would they be upset by not having the pet near them?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: Animal Pen?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 10:57:58 am »

"If each pet owner in turn was lead in there and then walked out a different way would they be upset by not having the pet near them?"

No ;P I've got no idea how to accomplish that however.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:59:44 am »

The butcher could get in, but opening the door would allow any opportunistic animals out. And if the door is not locked, they will try their best to get out. Locking the door will also increase your framerate, since the pets will no longer path.
You could trap pets in such a room, yes. The owners wouldn't get bad thoughts as long as the pet survives, but they won't get good thoughts from having a pet either.

You could save time by channelling out the space above and designating it a Pit, and assigning animals to it, rather than putting them in cages and opening them.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:03:38 am »

and 2 doors in a row will make it insanely hard for the animals to get through.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 11:26:16 am »

I'd suggest trying a zone, a pit just 1 tile big and 1 level deep.  Put a door into it - no, better, put a hall into it, with a series of doors, one adjacent to the next, close to the butcher.  Dump the animal in, and they'll be 99% trapped.  Any who make it out past one or two doors will be trapped - can't get back, but they'll be locked in place until you dump them again. (Put a staircase nearby?)

The alternative is to use a single restraint - assign the animals to it one at a time, and then release them.  Pet owners might get a little peeved, but only for a moment.

Either way, make the room only 1 tile big and you'll be set.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 11:33:23 am »

You could save time by channelling out the space above and designating it a Pit, and assigning animals to it, rather than putting them in cages and opening them.

the problem with this is that you can't assign pets to pits, only stray animals

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 12:08:01 pm »

Yes, but you can't cage pets either, so you'd still need to use an alternative method for them.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 12:10:11 pm »

magma + pets + owner = solution

EDIT: Or wasn't that allowed? ;D

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 12:11:11 pm »

Hrmmm - true.  Well, then assign and release using a restraint (no reason not to have both systems in place). Unless the owner is on the edge they'll get over it.

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 01:09:29 pm »

I've got no idea how to accomplish that however.

Oh, that's the easy part.

One door in near the butcher down a hallway.  Far end of the storage room an no pet door, a lever, a 1X1 cell.  A forbiden side exit.  Task to pull lever repeatedly.  Once it's in there.  Make exit to pet room forbidden.  Make side exit into main rooms useable.  Stop job on lever.

They go in, they pull to keep them happy.  Pet gets stuck outside.  Door the pet came in is made pet forbidde to keep it in until the next one is brought.

Most of my stock animals came as pets.

Now I've purchased a nice stack of them and they are all in cages.

I'll let them out after I've got the pets separated.

If I start getting CATSPLOSION.... I modify this so the lever releases MAGMA... *cough*
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.