Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Claim/Forbid items and Cages  (Read 6543 times)

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Claim/Forbid items and Cages
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:59:16 am »

Here's me again with some more noobs questions:

I managed to slay an elf ambush party with my traps and marksdwarves so the entrance to my fortress is filled with bodies, body parts and more importantly items; I've claimed the items and even the corpses so my dwarves should (logically) set the bodies on the refuse pile and the items on weapon/finished good items, which they did... at least to some. Some others, outside, haven't been picked up even after I tried forbidding and claiming again, dumping, etc... Could this have anything to do with the Orders menu? I've set my dwarves to get inside during the ambush and then released them to work normally...

Also, during the ambush I managed to capture via trap a couple of elves and a unicorn they brought; since it seems I can't simply order them killed, what exactly can I do with them? I've seen several tutorials on creatively murdering them but besides that is there any other thing possible to do with them?
Also, checking an individual cage, how can I strip them of items?

Cheers and once again thanks for being such a supportive community of players :)

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Claim/Forbid items and Cages
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 12:10:40 pm »

You need to use (o) (r) and set it so they gather refuse from ouside if you are having trouble with bodies and parts. For items make sure they are not forbidden and that you have a stockpile for that item. Also, after using mass designations over cage traps like dump you will find that the next time the cage is sprung it will automatically be set to be dumped. After your cage field is clean make sure to set the area to unDump so the cages aren't dumped when sprung. once the cages are in the stockpile with the enemies in them mass dump all the cages then use (k) to select each cage and manually un(d)ump it. This will dump all the items in the cage stripping the warriors while non of the cages themselves will be dumped.

What you do with prisoners is up to you, but I usually dump them in a put for marksdwarf practice.

Freaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 12:12:11 pm »

Some others, outside, haven't been picked up even after I tried forbidding and claiming again, dumping, etc... Could this have anything to do with the Orders menu?

Yes, exactly; o -> r -> o controls whether refuse is collected from outside.

Also, during the ambush I managed to capture via trap a couple of elves and a unicorn they brought; since it seems I can't simply order them killed, what exactly can I do with them? I've seen several tutorials on creatively murdering them but besides that is there any other thing possible to do with them?

You should be able to sell them, or if you don't want to kill them, you could set up a prison complex and pit them into it, or just place the cages around so your dwarves can admire them.

You could also set them free, I guess.

Also, checking an individual cage, how can I strip them of items?

d -> b -> d, mark them for dumping, then use k and unmark the stockpiled cages for dumping.  They'll then be stripped of all their items (unless they're outside and you have collecting refuse from outside turned off).

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 07:18:38 pm »

FYI it's safe to set any enemies you capture free- they'll just run away.

Unless they have the fearless tag that is. I think getting caught in a cage trap is as scary to a squad as watching a member killed but however it works once they are all caged, dead, or have fled the map the squad remains in runaway mode. Even if you let them out in a battle pit it will be hard to get them to fight back.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 05:37:16 am »

Yeah, I problem seems to be that if I try to move a cage that has a prisoner once the dwarf picks it up the prisoner escapes immediately; I simply thought there would be a "open cage* command or a direct "move this cage" command... seems like it would be easier and more to the point.

Freaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 12:47:32 pm »

I've never seen that; moving, constructing and deconstructing cages always keeps whatever's in it inside.

You can assign and remove creatures from the usual room menu (q) once constructed.  Creatures will also be removed if you assign them to a pit.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 12:08:20 am »

The moving a cage without it's contents thing makes trading away prisoners a pain. I think it's specifically when you do the "bring to depot" stuff to the cage.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.