Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How does Magma Cool?  (Read 8314 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: How does Magma Cool?
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 05:28:34 pm »

I'll do some testing with obsidian fortifications this weekend and see what happens.

Well, the ones I built 6 months ago still show up as "warm obsidian fortifications" when I view them with <k>.

That's not to say they wouldn't show up diff if I drained the magma from on top of them.

Judenbaer

• Bay Watcher
  • Sprechen Sie Dick?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 06:13:10 pm »

I disagree. The forum is for personal problems that cannot be trivially researched with the click of a button. Questions like "Does magma cool?" or "Do animals breed?" or "How do you smelt ore?" are things I learned the answer to in the first 10 minutes on the wiki - and I wasn't looking for them.

How to tap magma - meh, that's more complicated (even if that answer is in the wiki too).

OS - Once you've read the wiki, do ask more questions as they arise. The diff between someone who has clearly made some effort and someone who has not even bothered is a big diff - if you care about that.

Chill out, you're being a douchecanoe.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 07:03:25 pm »

LOL. Albedo got slapped.

eerr.  You err.  There is no infinite magma trick.

Magma does not flow upwards.  Pumps can push it, but it will not do that under anything resembling normal circumstances.

You are EXACTLY right about that wooden screw pumps.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 12:26:22 am »

Yeah, eerr, you err on many things. I will take the time to correct you on all of them.

b: flow can push creatures through fortifications anyway(magmamen/fire imps who investigate)

This is a misconception that only applies to creatures in underground water features, like cave crocodiles *shudder*, olmmen, lizardmen, and the rest. They do not get pushed through fortifications by the flow. They can freely path through them. This does not apply to creatures from magma features or any other creature; fortifications will safely prevent fire imps from entering your channel

d:fortifactions are covered by molten magma, so if they are there you can't see them without looking at the tile.

If you've set the init options to show fluid levels, then you can see where your fortifications are because there will be a dark red approximately equal sign there. Otherwise, yeah, you'd have to look.

e: when filling from a magma pool, i'm not sure if creatures respawn, but either way you need to dig low into the pool depending on how far you need the magma to go (16x16 and you'll probably want 5-10 layers of magma)

Magma creatures don't respawn. The three or four fire imps that came with the magma pipe are all the fire imps that will ever be on the map. And I'd advise against trying to fill a reservoir from a magma pool, as too much magma will be lost in the process. Much better to build your metalworks on the magma pool itself.

f: magma does normally flow upwards, there will be no flowing up out of the channel to cause flooding unless you use a screw pump above the channel.

Magma does not flow upwards. I've dug several magma channels that dropped a few z-levels and the magma never flowed into my forges. Magma flowing upwards only occurs when the magma is pumped, at which point it's tendency to flow upward is more a property of the pump itself than the magma.

h: you can create infinite magma by filling an enclosed 1x1 tile from a screw pump at the same level in the pump, both over the magma source.
good luck powering it without bauxite or adamantium, and also not flooding your fortress.

You can't make infinite magma using glitches, if you ever could. The infinite water bug was unique to the way water pressure is handled in the game, I believe.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 10:35:31 am »

LOL. Albedo got slapped.

(Swing and a miss from my point of view.) 8)

That discussion already came and went. And I don't give much concern to a 3-day member of these boards. 

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 08:48:04 pm »

LOL. Albedo got slapped.

(Swing and a miss from my point of view.) 8)

That discussion already came and went. And I don't give much concern to a 3-day member of these boards. 
I thought I had a nasty streak of elitism but damn!
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2009, 02:50:13 am »

Ahhh i'm so careless now, The one irrefutable fact I posted both contradicted itself due to missing a single word, and was even corrected to boot.
>.<

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2009, 03:24:15 am »

Thanks!  :D

(More pragmatism.  Will he be here tomorrow? Next week? And from his previous posts, is he reasonable or out in left field, calm or a habitual troll? No history = no credibility, in my book.  Jb may eventually become a pillar of this community, but for now he's just someone who poked his head in through a window, as we all were at first.)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2009, 04:23:12 pm »

Thanks!  :D

(More pragmatism.  Will he be here tomorrow? Next week? And from his previous posts, is he reasonable or out in left field, calm or a habitual troll? No history = no credibility, in my book.  Jb may eventually become a pillar of this community, but for now he's just someone who poked his head in through a window, as we all were at first.)
If you greeted everyone like that I don't think anyone of them would have stuck around till the next day much less the next week.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 2 [3]