Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Martial arts/self defense  (Read 4907 times)

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Martial arts/self defense
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2009, 09:09:13 am »

No, not at all. What I'm saying is that in addition to practicing techniques and sparring, a good teacher also does conditioning. Often at the beginning of the session. I know boxing, savate, and muy thai do a lot of aerobic conditioning, while a lot of grappling arts focus more on strength conditioning.

If races are a yes, I'd definitely try going to a class before you run, and seeing how you feel the next day. Talking to the instructor would be a good thing, too.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Jakkarra

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 10:25:10 pm »

for self defence, you should usually start by carying a deterrant. some form of weapon.

if you know how to flip one correctly a balisong (butterfly knife) can be a very intimidating tool, even if your actual fighting skills are sub-par. (its also an incredibly useful utility item)

generally, id rather make someone attacking me leave rather than actually fighting a person, weak muscles and not really being a violent person, but if push comes to shove, its good to learn where to hit/kick/stab/shoot.

not condoning anything.

also, i hope this doesn't sound too psychotic.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2009, 09:06:02 am »

No, this is psychopathic.

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Jakkarra

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2009, 09:35:41 am »

yay! i feel better now!