Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tech Support  (Read 935 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tech Support
« on: June 02, 2009, 01:56:57 pm »

I'm trying to up my computer's power so I can manage DF without my computer shooting pea soup and emitting the keening wail of a thousand dieing babys. My question is: what needs upgrading? Will more RAM beef it up? Is there a way to assign more processor power to it (currently only 50% will ever be used when I run DF)?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tech Support
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 01:58:41 pm »

A better CPU is really the best bet when it comes to improving DF's performance.
!!&!!

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 02:05:57 pm »

And that 50% thing is probably because your new-ish computer has a dual-core processor. DF can only use one core, since it's not multi-threaded (that's a whole different can'o'worms).

You could try turning off weather and such in init.txt. As for your hardware... faster CPU's about all you can do, assuming you're not running out of RAM. There could be a bottleneck in the motherboard chipset (the hardware that moves data into and out of the CPU), but that's not too likely.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 02:14:54 pm »

Remember that 50% CPU use doesn't mean 50% speed, either.  A large part of what a program spends time on, is waiting to read stuff from RAM, so a dual core shouldn't ever be seen as a bad thing or anything.

...I wonder if faster RAM would help DF significantly.  It just might.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 03:20:13 pm »

Well, I just might see about upgrading both. If I do, I'll run a little experiment: old cores, more memory vs. new cores, less memory.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 05:46:17 pm »

The quantity of the memory shouldn't matter much, as long as it can hold the program. The speed of the memory access may make a difference, though.
!!&!!

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 12:18:36 am »

What are the specs of your computer. (CPU, ram, graphics card etc etc). Also desktop or notebook?

In lieu of specs here are some things to look at when upgrading PCs.

CPU - Remember it's more than just the speed of the CPU which counts. Look at things like the size of L1 and L2 cache. The bigger these are the more expensive the CPU will be to replace but you'll get the added benefit of increased speed.

RAM - Not just the size but the frequency of the RAM as well. If you are running 32bit then you don't need anymore than 3Gb. Anymore and it's just wasted space. Also try to get the ram that matches the ram currently in your PC if your adding more ram. If your replacing the ram then get the fastest ram that your mainboard can handle.

GPU - I'm not as clued up on this as the other parts, but if you are running of an integrated graphics then switching to dedicated card is going to make a big difference.

And then just some general maintenance.

Spring cleaning - because computers are dust traps. Dust means insulation, insulation means heat, heat means computer will not run as well as it should.

Run all the usual bits and bobs, defrag, make sure that your computer isn't loading a thousand and one things on start up through msconfig and make sure that you have plenty of free space on your hard drive as windows needs it for virtual memory.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 02:04:38 pm »

A better CPU is really the best bet when it comes to improving DF's performance.

This. Get a better Mobo & CPU. Having more RAM won't help, because the FPS in DF is based on "CPU power".  :)