Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Building a Real Dwarf Fortress  (Read 3947 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Real Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 03:46:21 pm »

There are actually rumors of a massive bomb shelter underneath Tokyo, rumors started by looking at subway maps and noting inconsistencies in the various other maps of the underground. Still, nothing much to read up on and the rumor could be like the moon landing hoax people. I just want to believe there is a massive bunker under Tokyo for the badassery of it.

A major plus to living underground would be efficient OLEDs. By efficient I mean capable of covering walls and ceilings. With a large enough of an area and enough ambient lighting, a lot of the anxiety of living underground would be gone. Then you would need good enough ventilation that the air would never be stale and circulation could be felt. Not much you can do about any effects other than that short of spending most of your time outside.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 04:03:22 pm »

clearly, thats where they must be keeping akira.

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 11:41:23 pm »

Does anyone still have the link to that Spanish (or Italian?) cave/shrine that was secretly dug under a hill?

I could dig for it if no-one else knows.

It was definitely dwarfy.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 01:42:13 am »

There are actually rumors of a massive bomb shelter underneath Tokyo, rumors started by looking at subway maps and noting inconsistencies in the various other maps of the underground. Still, nothing much to read up on and the rumor could be like the moon landing hoax people. I just want to believe there is a massive bunker under Tokyo for the badassery of it.

A major plus to living underground would be efficient OLEDs. By efficient I mean capable of covering walls and ceilings. With a large enough of an area and enough ambient lighting, a lot of the anxiety of living underground would be gone. Then you would need good enough ventilation that the air would never be stale and circulation could be felt. Not much you can do about any effects other than that short of spending most of your time outside.

maybe you should look at modern submarines, they tend to have better air than deep in some of the less advanced ships.  the rebreather technology is there.  something actually makes the air stale, and that can be removed, thus doing this and leds you won't need the surface hardly at all, except for maybe trees, unless you build a cavern big enough for a small forest, i'd bet bamboo since it regrows so fast, of course then you'd need a lot of water.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 01:55:49 am »

100000000 dwarf bucks for the first man to mod in Deepcrows!

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 06:34:52 am »

Does anyone still have the link to that Spanish (or Italian?) cave/shrine that was secretly dug under a hill?

I could dig for it if no-one else knows.

It was definitely dwarfy.

The Temples of Damanhur

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2009, 09:03:07 am »

there a several mining towns in central australia where everyone lives underground. its more dwarflike then anything else ive seen, as the walls and roof are all stone. some of those miners are also pretty rich.

the picture on that wikipedia article is even of one of them. heres the main article for it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coober_Pedy,_South_Australia

that town also has all the movie props for a dozen or so sci fi/post apocolyptic films lying around the place, so it quite literally has downed spaceships in the streets. the wikipedia article says that the first ever tree in the town was welded out of scrap iron.

there are a few other similar underground dwelling mining communities around australia. with the heat the way it is it really is the only way to keep cool.

i would think the main issue in most parts of the world with underground living would be the ground water. most mines need to keep pumping it out, and nearly all abandoned mines are flooded.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2009, 09:50:09 am »

100000000 dwarf bucks for the first man to mod in Deepcrows!

Somebody already has.  I recall seeing the raw.  I just can't find it again for some reason.

Found it.  No wonder I remembered it so well, I assisted in working out the kinks.
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=18484.0
(beware, clicking this link will bring you back to the dark ages of early 2008)

I'll just take a 10% finders fee, Inquisitor saturn can have the rest.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 10:02:43 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 10:01:38 am »

I'd love to live underground.

Maybe set up some sort of mirror system to channel sunlight in from the surface.

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underground_living

Also: the Japanese are actually dwarves http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_City
that would explain their fascination with tentacles.
"this is a masterful rendition of an engraving of a tentacle demon and a human." you know how it goes.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 09:07:21 am »

My girlfriend said that it is quite possible to make an underground building. But the problem is preventing erosion and avoiding the soil from collapsing on top of you. Apparently, cave-ins are more common IRL than in DF. Oh and it's a bit hard to dig out the cave. And there's the problem of getting a lot of fresh air in and out of there.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Rock_n_Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 09:12:10 am »

Here's a list of decommissioned missile silos for sale.

They start at $165,000, and go way, way up from there.  And watch out for Deepcrows.

The cost isn't so much the actual construction of an underground site, as the time and manpower needed.

i wonder if i would get into trouble if i built missles and put them inside those....

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 07:47:17 pm »

Good foundations are important, and you need all four walls to be somewhat more watertight than ordinary houses.  At the same time, you have to be careful--if you make four walls and the floor all watertight with no very easy way to get the water out, you'll end up with /problems/ down the line.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 09:34:49 pm »

I don't know about the houses near you, but my father used to have a number of books on building underground houses, and one of the things it suggests is build them facing north (so the light shines in), build them with large windows in the front, and (depending on how deep into the ground) sinking some light shafts in the back.

I assume you live in the southern hemisphere.  On the rest of the planet, windows should face south.

I assume neither of you lives near the equator.  On this planet, windows should face the equator except in equatorial regions, where the idea is to reduce exposure to the sun because it's so bloody hot. 
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.
Pages: 1 [2]