Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat improvements  (Read 800 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat improvements
« on: July 10, 2009, 05:45:24 am »

Since in-game combat messages in fortress mode, plus the ability to have your dwarves wield exotic weapons, will be implemented in the next version of DF, now is about the right time to make combat more interesting and varied.

Different weapon attacks:

Currently, weapons such as swords only have one attack, which makes little sense as swords can be used to both stab and slash. Hence, such weapons should be given multiple attacks the same way creatures can have multiple attacks. For example, the sword's stabbing attack does less damage than the slashing attack, but has a higher crit boost.

Weapon speed:

[SPEED:XX]
This tag determines how much time it takes to swing the weapon. It should be noted that the speed of a weapon is determined by not just its weight, but its balance and center of mass - a sword can be swung faster than an axe of similar weight. Weapon speed will also be dependent on agility, quality and strength.

Chances of parrying and counterattack:

How easy it is for a weapon to parry and be parried depends on the design of a weapon. Handguards, the profile of the weapon, and so on. Having separate tags determining how difficult a weapon's attack is to parried/countered, how difficult it is to parry with that weapon and how difficult it is to counterattack with that weapon would be useful.

Knockback:

Weapon attacks should be given the tag [KNOCKBACK:XX], determining how much of an impact they make on the target. If someone wielding a weapon with high knockback hits you, in addition to being damaged, you may be made to forced to the ground if you are not strong or tough enough, or made to stumble backwards and perhaps fall over. This is useful, considering that prone targets are easier to hit. This applies even if the shot is blocked.

example:

The hammerman strikes at you but the shot is blocked!
You stumble backwards and fall over!
The hammerman charges at you!

or

The hammerman strikes at you but the shot is blocked!
You are forced to the ground!

Strength will affect knockback.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 05:47:34 am by RavingManiac »
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Combat improvements
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 03:26:30 pm »

relax. read the notes of the dev. He has it all planned out. Seriously, he's making the combat system MORE COMPLEX. I thought "grab right finger, left hand with left upper arm" was complex enough, but no.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat improvements
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 03:27:38 pm »

Actually, the game is getting less abstract then that.  It will have actual masses and edges that calculate how hard something is hit.  The weight will combine with the user's strength to calculate speed.  There's other threads that have FAR more detailed schemes for parrying which I think are more dwarfy.