Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Berserk Merchant and Other Questions  (Read 823 times)

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
Berserk Merchant and Other Questions
« on: June 01, 2009, 08:34:40 pm »

So, I have a merchant who has apparently gone gone berserk.  He killed his own mule, and now he's just standing there.  At the moment, he's trapped outside my fort, because there is no way to get in (and hasn't been for about 2 seasons, since before he even showed up.)

My first question is:  When/If I open the fort to the outside world (I'll need to eventually, if only because I started with no anvil) is he going to come charging in?  Or will he eventually calm down and leave?

Next, I'm on a map (A wonderful map, full of spires, which are allowing me to finally build my dream fort... bridges galore!) with magma.  There is a brook running through the center of my map.  If I were to block off a segment of this brook with magma, to make a wall, would it cause the water to overflow?  And if so, would it fill up another whole level?  Or will it simply fill until it finds another spot to drain off?

And lastly, when I embarked, there were 4 races on the embark screen (Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Goblins.)  But now when I hit "C" I only see the Dwarven civilization.  Does this simply means no one else has found me yet?  Or does this mean I'm only going to get visits by dwarves?  (Allowing me to build my bridge-dom in peace.)
To rephrase, I know if they're not on the embark they don't show up, but does the "C" menu update after they find you, or as soon as the game starts?

Edit:  I just found out that the "C" menu DOES in fact update as other civs find you.  So, now we all know.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 08:51:51 pm by Kohou »
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Berserk Merchant and Other Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:35:16 pm »

I'd love to know about the brook. I want to build a dam and make a reservoir but I was under the impression that the brook will only rise to the level it came in at. I'd be pleasantly surprised to hear otherwise.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Berserk Merchant and Other Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 01:24:55 am »

1. For your merchant, I don't think he will go crazy and charge your fort. Ive had beserk merchants inside my fort and nobody was injured, at least by the merchants. (damn chasm creatures...)

2. Brooks will not overflow, nor will any other sourced water, unless you pump it up a level. And even then, you would need many pumps.

3. I guess you got it answered, but yeah. 'C'iv screen updates when they find you.