Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Honey  (Read 2087 times)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
Re: Honey
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 04:42:26 pm »

ta, Beehives don't grow... unless you have the seeds listed a honey bees. it would still be strange having honey combs growing out of the dirt next to a plump helmet.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 04:57:49 pm »

Bee Hives are a sufficiently unique thing that they will need some special consideration at the code level to be implemented properly.  For one they should fall under the skill of the Animal Caretaker rather then Planter and the Hive needs to be a piece of wooden furniture which then houses a semi-permanent bee colony.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 06:44:14 pm »

You can just make a plant called "Bee Hive."

It would look something like this (2 minute quick build)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Personally, I wouldn't have it as growable in a farm. At least it makes vague sense that you'd find beehives in bushes and such in the wild without being able to grow them as crops.

But yes, as Impaler said, a new system for beehives and related materials (if there are any related substances that aren't entirely fictional) would be much preferable. Of course, there's a lot of systems which would be great to have which would require new handling, and I feel confident that Toady will eventually get round to putting in as many as possible...

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2009, 07:06:17 pm »

Personally, I wouldn't have it as growable in a farm. At least it makes vague sense that you'd find beehives in bushes and such in the wild without being able to grow them as crops.

But yes, as Impaler said, a new system for beehives and related materials (if there are any related substances that aren't entirely fictional) would be much preferable. Of course, there's a lot of systems which would be great to have which would require new handling, and I feel confident that Toady will eventually get round to putting in as many as possible...

It is a quick fix and not a solid game play fix, just like putting fruit trees in as plants and making smelter reactions to turn them into wood. I'd love to have trees get a token [HAS_FRUIT] (with the associated name of fruit, edibility, booze, extracts) which Toady could add in sometime to the code, but until then I'll stick with the long grow duration fruit plants.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 11:51:52 pm »

Related materials with bees would be:

Queen Bee(Vermin)
Virgin Queen Bee(Vermin)
Worker Bee(Vermin)
Drone Bee(Vermin)

Honey Comb(Millable? Consumable Raw?)
-BeesWax(Material)
-Honey(food)
-Royal Jelly(food maybe? small % chance to obtain)

and having a beehive within X steps of a farm plot should improve it, like a fertilizer but probably to a lesser extent.

having a hive dynamic coded would also make the possibility of making the ants more interesting, bonus points if the ants farm aphids. it would also allow wasp nests which could provide Paper, and hornets nests which could just be annoying pests.

ooo and maybe some dwarfs could be allergic to bees!

Urist McStung cancels Store item Swelling up  ;D to much fun

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2009, 07:13:38 pm »

Do the hives go on the farm or are they a seperate building? And how would the dwarves get the bees in a hive?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2009, 08:12:33 pm »

Do the hives go on the farm or are they a seperate building? And how would the dwarves get the bees in a hive?
Separate buildings, wiki seems to imply that we've just had beekeeping for ages and can't really know how it started.  Doesn't seem to say how they were domesticated.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 12:51:35 pm »

goto Df\raw\objects

Open up matgloss_plant.txt

Add in at the bottem or below the normal cave plants...

Code: [Select]
[MATGLOSS_PLANT:BEEHIVE_CAVE]
[TILE:38][COLOR:6:0:1]
[NAME:cave beehive][NAME_PLURAL:cave beehives]
[GROWDUR:500][VALUE:3]
[DRINK:dwarven mead:6:0:1]
[DRINKVALUE:4]
[EXTRACT:dwarven honey:6:0:1]
[EXTRACTVALUE:20]
[EXTRACT_BARREL]
[EXTRACT_COOKABLE]
[SEED:6:0:1]
[SEEDNAME:cave bee queen]
[GENPOWER:1]
[SPRING][SUMMER]
[FREQUENCY:50]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:honeycombs]
[WET][DRY][BIOME_SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]

You will have to make a whole new map however to use this, any old fortresses wont be able to use it.
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 02:36:30 pm »

If we get honey, we should get tea.  Tea goes well with a little honey.
Not to mention the cat tallow scones.
I think you mean =prickle berry scones=. 
This is an exceptional prickle berry scone.  It is made from finely minced prickle berry, exceptionally minced cave wheat flour, and exceptionally minced dwarven wine.

So Dwarf culinary arts is basically chopping up the ingredients finely? So the ultimate dorf food is thus paste. Come the food processor everyone will be legendary chefs.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2009, 07:39:10 pm »

Honey is a "sweet" idea.   Just hopefully the bee's will be abstracted and we dont have 6 million pages of bee's on our units list page.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 01:26:22 am »

How about giant dwarf eating bees that make proper nests, lke with 1 tile walls and stuff defined in RAWs, in the caves, and you can mine honey comb by invading them or trade animals or goblins to them in return for honey.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 08:44:21 pm »

Actually, I can make a good guess-Bees that swarm aren't as dangerous, since they don't have a home to defend (killer bees are a very recent phenomenon, FYI-and one we made). In that state, smoke is often used to knock them down, so possibly someone used smoke to "herd" them into a hollow log. Very primitive, but some forms of beehives are essentially hollow logs. (and even if they're in a hive, smoking the hive will cause the bees to gorge on honey, making their abdomens too inflexible to sting. Which, BTW, is why that's done when a hive is harvested for honey-and it might have been how a hive might have been transported). of course, since smoke involves fire and this is dwarf fortress...
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 08:50:57 pm »

Royal Jelly is food but it would require someone to know what they are looking for or else they are likely to mix it with ordinary honey effectively wasting it.

Each proper hive actually has quite a bit of Royal Jelly 500 grams worth.

Note: I am not an expert.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 11:03:40 pm »

we aren't asking how to make beehives plants, that would be something to ask in the modding forum anyway.

royal jelly would have a low percentage of creation, like galena for silver except only maybe 5% chanceinstead of 50%. That way a novice animal trainer(or whatever skill would gather the comb) will usually not get it, or maybe couple it with a tag like [Pet_Exotic] so only a DM can extract it properly?

Lego... when you said wiki and the "We had beekeeping for ages" made me think it was in DF and the wiki was DF-wiki... bad lego :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2009, 11:46:00 pm »

I don't really think it should have a percent chance of occuring.

It should be produced and depending on the skill of the gatherer they would get a certain amount.

They get incomplete vials of Royal Jelly. When get enough it gets a complete Vial of Royal Jelly. (similar to the way Recycling is in the game)

A Proficiant Gatherer/Beekeeper would get a vial everytime. Further skill determines how much damage they do to a hive gathering this. Legendary Beekeepers almost never harm the hive and encourage growth while a novice would destroy a hive and get attacked on mass.
Pages: 1 [2]