Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Reducing Human world gen dominance... (Modding Question)  (Read 1631 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Reducing Human world gen dominance... (Modding Question)
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2009, 05:54:51 pm »

What do you mean by higher mesh sizes making more weight values?

Something like 50,1,1,1,100 doesn't seem to even skew things towards the high and low values for me (using small mesh.)
Err, I guess my explaination wasnt very clear there.

What the mesh thing seems to do is make a 'mesh' of points acress the map. Each point is assinged a random number, whos outcome depends on what weight values you have set. The higher your mesh size is, the denser the mesh will be, thus generating more points to be assinged one value or another. This makes the effect of the mesh a lot clearer, due to higher variation.

Also, 50, 1, 1, 1, 100 wont mean that you will only have a chance of 3 in 150 of getting a value between 20 and 80 percent. If a 0-20 point and a 80-100 are generated next to one another, it wont just jump from 80 to 20, variation is limited.

So, increase you mesh size and the variation of whatever your trying to edit. Maybe expiriment for a bit on a smaller, quick to generate map untill you understand how to use it. Use something well visible like elevation.

Also, if this doesnt work quite the way as I explained it, then oops, I couldnt find any tutorial on it either. All I explained here is just what I found out myself. Still, im pretty sure I got the basics right, and I made some interesting worlds with it.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: 1 [2]