Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damn, perfect site ruined.  (Read 2339 times)

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damn, perfect site ruined.
« on: June 01, 2009, 07:16:00 am »

Guys, this is really confusing. I found the BEST SITE EVER that I absolutely loved, my fortress was flourishing and I had well over 35,000 wealth by mid-winter, of 200 (1st year) and I was loving it. Caravan came, I bought an Anvil and immediately got my Metalsmith working on a full set of Iron Armor x 4 for my future soldiers. I was enjoying it and looking forward to the Orc Siege who was bound to be here any time.

Unfortunately, they weren't. It was mid-winter and still no Orcs. When I embarked, I specifically looked to see if the Orcs were near me, and they were, and they were at war with me. However, when I went to the RAWs / Objects to change their TRAP AVOIDABILITY off, they weren't there. Their files weren't there. So, I was confused. How come on the embark screen it showed orcs were there, however, in the objects folder, their files were gone?

I had it there before, perhaps I deleted it but there was a file somewhere else? I don't know. What I do know is when I tried loading the save this morning, after playing last night, the save was corrupted. I was pissed. There were an abundance of trees and wildlife, a brook right outside my base, close but not too close. The soil layers were perfect and allowed me to set up base quickly. I'm so pissed and I doubt i'll ever find a site like it.

Anyway, original question is, how come Orcs showed as a Civ on Embark screen, but didn't turn up and there weren't orc files in the Object folder?

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damn, perfect site ruined.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 07:17:15 am »

P.S. I had the error, File Disk compressed or something, it was something to do with the file disk or components, can't remember. Is there anyway to fix that or not? And, if I were to add the Orc Objects to my objects folder, would I need to regen the world anyway or would they have just jumped straight in?

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 07:25:24 am »

Try posting this question in the modding section. Other than that, I can't help.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 07:30:54 am »

I'd imagine you could just put the files back in and they'd turn up in a siege eventually.  But then again, I'm not a programmer or in any way technically capable.

Try making a copy of the whole game directory and try it out.  It's like playing DF, but with your computer! FUN!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 07:33:03 am »

You can always regen the world fresh and start again. (35k isn't really that much in a year).

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 07:36:54 am »

hrm, such a shame

maybe uploading the region file will help, ill be sure to examine it, closely

maybe giving data on where you chose to start out would help too, so i can pinpoint the problem  ;D
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 07:45:39 am »

LordBaxter, thanks mate, but it's too late now :c Last night my mum kept harrassing me to get off, reminded me of those annoying Rhesus Macaques lol.

I just deleted it because i'd given up hope :c

If anyone can tell me why Orcs showed up on Civ, it'd help.

Faenaris

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 10:42:43 am »

You aren't using RantingRodent's graphic set? Because I had it installed for a test run and the Orcs showed up in the civ menu! Deleting the graphics folder which referred to Orcs solved the problem (and ofcourse, a regen of the world).

It could have been a fluke though. My harddisk was playing up. Now that I mention it, I'm pretty sure my harddisk was the culprit.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2009, 05:07:35 pm »

Orcs don't ALWAYS show up in the first winter. I've gone over two years without them sieging me in some cases. Distance *is* a factor. If they're farther away, it seems to take them longer to siege them.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 05:46:29 pm »

Wait another few years. Of the four or so forts I have built since I installed orcs, none of them have had them show up on year 1. I think it may be related to fortress wealth or some other factor than time, so it may take a good artifact to boost you up enough. My current fort went 3 years before the first orc seige. By the time they showed up I had figured I was out of orc territory and was safe, so I didn't have any good defenses prepared and lost about 15 dwarves/lemmings.
If that fails, and the map was the most recently generated, IIRC the game stores the most recent seeds used, so you should be able to just change it from random to use seed, since the seeds are automatically in the advanced gen options. If you used the default world gen, it would be a medium map. I could be wrong of course, but it should have kept the seed numbers.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 05:49:12 pm by alway »

loopoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 06:34:16 pm »

Ah thanks! Didn't know about the seed thing. Well, it's all fine now. I just genned a new world and it was practically the same, if not better than my old one. Too bad the river is infested with carp twats. Atleast they'll train my marksdwarves up easily.

Also, I just though Orcs always attacked ASAP, since they always attacked me the first winter. Also, i'm at WAR with Goblins and a red ------- was next to the orc civ on embark. What will happen? Does that mean Orcs hate me and Goblins will siege asap? P.S. what does IIRC mean.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 06:44:28 pm »

Ah thanks! Didn't know about the seed thing. Well, it's all fine now. I just genned a new world and it was practically the same, if not better than my old one. Too bad the river is infested with carp twats. Atleast they'll train my marksdwarves up easily.

Also, I just though Orcs always attacked ASAP, since they always attacked me the first winter. Also, i'm at WAR with Goblins and a red ------- was next to the orc civ on embark. What will happen? Does that mean Orcs hate me and Goblins will siege asap? P.S. what does IIRC mean.

First off... You underestimate carp.

Ya, goblins might come en-masse, so be ready for them... The red lines are expected to mean hostile.

IIRC = if I remember/recall correctly

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 06:48:27 pm »

The ----- is a Toady hack, to force any babysnatching race to be at pseudo-war with a non-babysnatching race until he adds diplomacy and the like. The goblins are at "real" war with you, but as far as I know, any difference between real war and pseudo-war is probably negligible.

I view it as the goblin civ isn't actually at war with you, but rogue bands of goblins from the general direction of the nearest goblin tower will still send snatchers, ambushes, and armies at you.

IIRC is a common internet abbreviation for "If I Remember Correctly."
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 06:50:16 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 02:54:42 am »

Usually when you take out entities in the raws the game won't load saves that include them. Data -> objects is sort of a cache of that stuff though so in some situations you get stuff staying there when then raws for it are gone.

If you stuck a new copy of the orc.txt into raws -> objects you could alter them.

As for sieges orcs don't have a minimum fort value before they start sending sieges, that's part of why they are "hard mode." They'll raid you as soon as their civ figures out where you are.

As for heaven sites you can generate new worlds with custom parameters to make things more abundant. There are a few threads around that explain how it all works but to get a lot of magma, underground water, flux, HFS sites you want lots of small mountain areas (middle of a mountain is useless without embark anywhere,) so high elevation variance and maximum volcanism variance. For more volcanoes but less flux you can up the minimum volcanism to like 60 and still end up with some sites with marble for flux but the other types of flux won't show up and you also won't get the rock layers that have lots of iron. Underground water and HFS occur on any region area that shows up as a mountain tile.

I haven't found a way to make it super-likely that you'll get magma pipes shooting up through sedimentary layers T_T
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 07:51:49 am »

I haven't found a way to make it super-likely that you'll get magma pipes shooting up through sedimentary layers T_T

You need to master the world painter.