Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training "Armor User" skill specifically  (Read 852 times)

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training "Armor User" skill specifically
« on: January 25, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »

Hi everyone

My soldiers are sparring like crazy in the barracks, and their skills are really high, they're all champions, with Legendary Wrestler, Shield User, WhateverWeapon User, and they all tend to suck in Armor User...

I never made them spar without an armour, by the way, they already had the whole set (plate + helm + greaves + 2 boots + 2 gauntlets + shield) when the barracks was designated

So it seems that armor user trains a lot slowlier than other military skills..

Any idea on how to speed the process would be highly appreciated  :)

Thanks in advance

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training "Armor User" skill specifically
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 04:40:00 pm »

Try taking away their shields. I believe the defending dwarf performs the folliwng skill checks when attack(in order)

shield use
wrestling
(hit) armor user

If they are really good with a shield, they not be getting hit, and therefore receiving no armor exp.

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

So obvious ! How didnt i think of it ?  :p

Thanks

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 08:19:00 pm »

note that armor user only makes armor weight less when they are wearing it, and does not change the effectiveness so it's not super critical that they have a high armor user skill, especially if they have a few ranks of strength. A moderate skill level + a few strength levels should be plenty to get rid of any speed penalty.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Bogdanov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 12:06:00 am »

Doesnt it also affect their damage reduction if they get hit? I figured this was the whole point of the skill..

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 12:20:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Bogdanov:
<STRONG>Doesnt it also affect their damage reduction if they get hit? I figured this was the whole point of the skill..</STRONG>

Nope, it only reduces the weight, at least according to the wiki. My experiences in adventure mode seem to agree, though it's very hard to tell for sure.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 12:22:00 am »

Having a high armor user skill increases their speed, and therefore how many times they can attack in a given set of time. It's worth it, by my standards.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 12:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>Having a high armor user skill increases their speed, and therefore how many times they can attack in a given set of time. It's worth it, by my standards.</STRONG>

That's a misleading statement, it merely gets rid of the speed penalty, not gives speed.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »

But if you have less speed penalty, you're faster.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

sorbius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

you're less slow you mean.  but as was stated having high strength will make you less slow too.
keepin' it real for atleast the last 5 minutes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 04:04:00 pm »

The armor skill tends to get used when using improvised weapons, like corpses. At least bashing stuff with corpses trains armor using.  :p
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

WurmD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 04:50:15 pm »

The armor skill tends to get used when using improvised weapons, like corpses. At least bashing stuff with corpses trains armor using.  :p

wat??

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 05:02:45 pm »

The armor skill tends to get used when using improvised weapons, like corpses. At least bashing stuff with corpses trains armor using.  :p

wat??
it seems logic if corpse had armor on it, bashing with armor means armor using ;P
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2009, 05:34:09 pm »

wat??

It's true.  I've observed that, or something close to it, in Adventure Mode.  Shield bashing also trains Armor User.