Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rename Wrestling to Unarmed  (Read 473 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rename Wrestling to Unarmed
« on: June 02, 2009, 03:41:48 am »

It makes more sense.
The wrestlers arent just restricted to wrestling.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Rename Wrestling to Unarmed
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 04:29:14 am »

In adventurer mode it wouldnt make sense, as you train and use your wresting skill by clubbing your enemy with trap components, hacked off limbs, etc. Those are technically weapons, though that doesnt suppost wresting as a name, it also means that 'unarmed' wouldnt be correct either.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Rename Wrestling to Unarmed
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 05:00:37 am »

This was already implemented for the next version.

For unarmed, the count is actually five (I hadn't included the unwieldy objects, a skill I haven't named but it seems there should be *something* for that).  Then there's wrestling, dodging, grasp strikes (needs name), stance strikes (needs name, probably kicking).  Breathing fire and bites and so on are awaiting skills that I haven't set up yet.  There are also general skills for melee/ranged combat that pick up some of the slack that used to depend on "level" (counterstrikes, noticing charges, etc.).  Those just need to be handled with the new atts and so on, but there's also something to be said for keeping the new "melee combat" skill, as somebody that has been using a sword and fighting in real fights with it for fifteen years would be able to pick up a spear or a mace and have a real advantage over a completely inexperienced person, and not just because of atts.  As these skills are given names, the melee combat skill might fade out and be removed, but I'm not sure.  There's something to be said for having a skill tree like Armok 1 had, so that say as a simplified example effective_mace=max(mace,sword/3) or effective_mace=max(mace,melee) and that kind of thing, but I just haven't made a final decision on that (what I'm setting up now won't feel it too hard either way if I decide to change later, so I'm not that worried about it, but I'll still have to make up my mind one way or another in a day or two).