Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How I'd like weapon/armour/item possession to be handled  (Read 359 times)

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How I'd like weapon/armour/item possession to be handled
« on: May 31, 2009, 09:49:08 am »

I'm aware that it's "in plans" to make it possible to designate a specific weapon/armour/pig tail sock to a specific dwarf eventually. I just thought I'd toss out how it should work.

Basically, I think every wearable item should have a [P]roperties tag exactly like a workshop. Opening [P]roperties brings up a very similar interface, with min/max skill levels and a list of all dwarves, but also with a second column on the right hand side with a list of all skills. You can select specific skills just as you can select specific dwarves. For example, I could designate that *Adamantine shield* to be usable by any dwarf with Sworddwarf skill between Professional and Great, or I could set it to be usable by any Legendary dwarf, or I could set it so that only Bomrek Bosomhandles could use it regardless of her skill level... heck, I could set it so that Bomrek Bosomhandles could only use it once she became a Legendary shield user.

Added to this, a dwarf should first and preferentially choose to equip an item that is specifically only available to him/her. The more specific the better, basically like this:
Specifically names this dwarf (weight=4) > specifically names this dwarf's profession (weight=2) > specifically names this dwarf's skill level (weight=1)

Meeting more than 1 criterion would further increase the likelihood that the dwarf would choose that item over another item that the dwarf qualifies for, but an item specifically naming the dwarf to use it would always trump the other two qualities (even if Bomrek is a Legendary Sworddwarf, she'll always choose a sword tagged 'Bomrek Only' over a sword tagged 'Legendary Sworddwarves only).

Finally, items which can be tagged in this manner should be nicknamable just like dwarves are. Tagging an item for use by a specific dwarf should by default give it a tag something like this:
Bomrek Bosomhandles' *Adamantine Shield*

Of course this would have to work with artifacts too, which would finally allow us to reassign that damned Champion who picked up an artifact crossbow ten years ago and won't put it down to grab an adamantine battleaxe now.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.