Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adjustable Time Tracking (days, months, seasons, years, etc) In World Creation.  (Read 344 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile

This is a straightforward request for the ability to play around with the length of days (in hours), the length of months (in number of days per month), and the length of years, in both days, and number of months to a year.).

So that we might decide that a particular world had days which lasted 27 hours, weeks that lasted 12 days, months that lasted 6 weeks, and years that lasted 5 months.

Additionally, that we be able to come up with (mod in?) names for days of the week, and months of the year, with the possibility for creating-and naming-a cycle of years (which would either randomly, or progressively, assign "year names" from a list). 

Furthermore, to be able to assign names to those constellations, and moon/moons, in the night sky that surround (and influence?) the world. That we be able to assign each constellation a number of days (a period of days from one date to another) when they are "prominent", and to assign to the moon (or each moon) a number of days it takes that particular moon to go through the cycle of new-full-new.

Also, that we be able to assign certain dates as "holidays", once we've got the cultures in place to honor them.

Finally, that we be able to assign temperature and percipitation scales to various seasons, to be able to name those seasons, and to decide approximately how long each season lasts.

It would also be very nice, if we could fill in some descriptive text for certain of these entities (the months, the constellations, the moons, the holidays), that might then pop up occasionally-easter egg fashion-when those times happened, in-game. 

I'm not sure how much of this has already been requested (I had no idea what to search for, frankly), and I know it'll likely be a long time until we see something like this going into the game, but I atleast wanted to mention it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 08:02:39 am by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know the 5 months thing is only hypothetical, but that would throw off the growth seasons of crops, the way they are now unless it was coded to make the seasons divided into roughly 1/4th of the year.

The crops stuff aside, I kind of like that idea.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm. Modifying times could develop from some basic factors of the world. Days and years are easy enough to modify (there's already some variation in which way the sun rises and sets), and a season is going to remain a quarter of a year from the cold season to the warm back to the cold, and then intermediaries.

Months and weeks would depend on the moon. I believe there's a bloat in there somewhere about developing the night sky better. Having more than one moon could make months very complicated to work with, and would probably take a fair bit of work to add in. I imagine if such modifications do get put in, they will when Toady starts working on alien planes.
I suppose a temporary measure on months being variable as days and years are wouldn't be too bad. And the status screen does tell you when in the season it is, regardless of month, and that's important.

There's potential to this idea, I think, yes.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile

Also possibly having it be random'd at worldgen.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets