Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with modded reaction item.  (Read 467 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with modded reaction item.
« on: July 20, 2009, 12:28:58 pm »

So I modded in a reaction to make wooden maces from the smelter. The reaction takes a wooden log and creates a wooden mace from the standard mace template. The problem is every time my dwarves try to pick up and carry a wooden mace they walk incredibly slow, like the mace is very heavy. I tried this earlier with a modded cudgel weapon (a direct copy of the mace item just did less damage) and I had the same problem.

I'm relatively new to modding the raws, so I'm not sure if I missed something basic that would cause reaction items to be incredibly heavy. I haven't seen dwarves move this slow since I assigned an unskilled hauler to move a bin of steel bars to the trade depot.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with modded reaction item.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 01:14:07 pm »

I think it's a common glitch with creating weapons through the smelter. Giving them outlandish weights. I remember seeing it awhile back on another thread but can't remember where.

Perhaps someone who knows a bit more about modding could explain it better.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 01:22:58 pm »

I'm pretty sure you're right. I thought it might be a bug since wooden maces aren't actually in game, so I changed it to spears, something I've bought from the elves many times. Same thing, spears were so heavy my dwarves could barely use them. I guess this will make survival embarks in evil zones harder, oh well.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 05:39:57 pm »

Post the reaction text, though I think I know what the problem is. Are you specifying what kind of wood the weapons are made of? If not, you need to do that. You can skip specifying a type of wood for the reagent, but the product must be made of a type of wood (see this page for what materials do and don't have subtypes).

Someone else can explain why untyped materials are bad; I don't know enough to explain it properly.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 07:53:42 pm »

Someone else can explain why untyped materials are bad; I don't know enough to explain it properly.

I'm pretty sure it's because the game's default values for material properties are usually absurd, and those values are left unchanged if there's no material subtype.

Sutremaine's solution should work.