Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pack Animals & Wagons  (Read 384 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pack Animals & Wagons
« on: May 30, 2009, 03:13:21 pm »

It would be cool if pack animals and wagons could be used for transporting things around the fort. A wagon would be like a large, portable stockpile; you would mark what you would like to be placed in the wagon and then set where it goes (example, set it for a wood stockpile and then place it in a chopped forest). Dwarves would then be tasked to lead the wagon to its designated spot, and dwarves would haul items to the wagon like it is a normal stockpile. The wagon could then, when full, be marked to return to a spot near the fort. A dwarf would lead it to the fort. At this point you could undesignate it as a wood stockpile and dwarves would unload it and put the wood into a different wood stockpile. Pack animals meanwhile could serve in a similar function.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Pack Animals & Wagons
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:19:26 pm »

Howdy Elliott, I noticed you seem to be starting a number of threads recently concerning topics that are frequently suggested already.  I's considered rude to start topics without first doing some searching to see if the idea is in fact already well discussed.  If you find that your idea already has a thread try to read it and carefully consider if you have a new or interesting addition too that debate.  If so then necroing the old thread is preferable to starting a new one.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:22:46 pm »

Sorry Impaler those were just two ideas I had been thinking about for a long time so I decided I would add both at the same time.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 03:27:55 pm »

No harm done and now you know the protocol, to prove my point I found this thread which pertains to use of wagons for exactly this kind of hauling.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5795.0

I'm personally wondering if a 'Teamster' job should be required for a dwarf to operate a wagon, and what kind of Teamsters Guild will result from that.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download