Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bridges As Floodgates  (Read 5546 times)

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridges As Floodgates
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2009, 03:14:37 pm »

A ton of that goes on in these forums. Caveat emptor.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2009, 04:48:52 am »

<nods>

I pity that fool.

I don' look Chinese, so why do they keep callin' me Foo?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2009, 05:35:08 am »

What happens if a dwarf is walking over a floodgate and it is lowered?  And how can a bridge form a wall without forming a floor above it  :-\.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2009, 07:01:22 am »

Floodgates don't "lower", they just open/close, like doors or hatches.  If anything is in the way, they don't close, and that signal is lost from the lever.  (So now it has to be thrown twice more - once to reset the lever to open - the same state of the barrier - and once more to send a "close" signal - and hope it works this time.)

As for your 2nd question... I have no idea what you're envisioning.  Floor above it? It goes from a horizontal plane to a vertical plane - the same definitions as floors and walls.

From __ to |.  (That second one would be a wall.)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2009, 07:09:25 am »

Floodgates don't "lower", they just open/close, like doors or hatches.  If anything is in the way, they don't close, and that signal is lost from the lever.  (So now it has to be thrown twice more - once to reset the lever to open - the same state of the barrier - and once more to send a "close" signal - and hope it works this time.)

As for your 2nd question... I have no idea what you're envisioning.  Floor above it? It goes from a horizontal plane to a vertical plane - the same definitions as floors and walls.

From __ to |.  (That second one would be a wall.)

But does a dwarf fall down if he's standing on top of a closed floodgate (ie on the floor of the z level above it)?

And what I meant about the bridge is the way a 5 long bridge becomes a 1 high wall.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2009, 08:06:36 am »

First, let's use the correct terms - a floodgate is not a "floor" and does not make a "floor" - a floor is a floor, it's a specific construction.  <b, C, f>

Never tried, but I'm 99% sure dwarves can't stand on a floodgate, any more than they can stand on a door.

(And you really don't need to quote my entire post if you're responding right after me - I'm fairly confident any readers can follow along.  DF doesn't cause that much short-term memory loss.)  ;)

And what I meant about the bridge is the way a 5 long bridge becomes a 1 high wall.

Um... yeah... I'm sure you have a specific question, I just can't figure out what it is, sorry.

The drawbridge when "down" forms a horizontal barrier that can be walked on and that seals channels and such.  When "up", it forms a vertical barrier that cannot be walked through and seals tunnels.

While walls (we're using the correct terms, so we're talking <b, C, w>) do form surfaces that can be walked on, I don't believe that drawbridges do when raised - again, can't remember ever trying it.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2009, 10:51:27 am »

So, therefor, you could fall "into" a bridge.  Which would get awkward for toady to explain.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 02:44:07 pm »

No, I believe you just get stuck in an unpalatable square, like with trees.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 03:29:55 pm »

We should test this, but my gut is telling me that Dwarves CANNOT walk along the top of the wall formed by a raised drawbridge.

I recall reading something specifically to that effect on the forums about a month ago, but I can't find it now. The last post involved asking the question: "What happens if a dwarf is dropped on top of that wall? Will he path off?" I don't think anyone answered that one. I can't find it though, now, and it was a secondhand account to begin with so I can't really vouch for it.

Furthermore, there's this quote on the wiki discussion page for floodgates:
"I can dam/divert a river with floodgates... If I dig a channel 1 z-level down, then build a wall, the top is a floor I can walk across. Why isn't the top of a floodgate a floor?"

I'm assuming bridges are probably similar here, in that they're both buildings. However, this might be yet another instance in which bridges kick the shit out of floodgates.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 03:49:14 pm »

"I can dam/divert a river with floodgates... If I dig a channel 1 z-level down, then build a wall, the top is a floor I can walk across. Why isn't the top of a floodgate a floor?"
Because they are not walls. The answer is obvious :). Only walls form a walkable surface above them.

As with "bridges" and such, it was already answered. Trees act the same way: creatures get "stuck" above them, until you chop the tree down.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2009, 04:23:46 pm »

You get a floor on top of a floodgate by building a bridge over it.  Link 'em both to the same lever, see what happens.

Note:  I don't know what happens if a dwarf falls on a floodgate, the above is merely a way to get floors over them.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 2 [3]