Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: You've struck Gold!  (Read 2874 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You've struck Gold!
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 08:08:49 pm »

"Being able to trick the occasional stupid Human merchants with Pyrite crafts, though...that would be hilarious!"

Yeah that makes sense. Though it would have to be a rather inexperienced merchant. (I could see Elf Merchants having a harder time)

It does put more importance on the "Lying" skill

Alenth Eneil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 09:14:23 pm »

I fully support the idea of being allowed to lie about the exact materials used in your crafts.
Sometimes I just generate worlds and read all the funny names.
(|||)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 09:31:54 pm »

Dwarf Merchant: Adamantine! Straight from the pits!
 Elven Merchant: Really? I thought it was a lot more rare than this, and a lot lighter.
 Dwarf Merchant: Naw, thats processed Adamantine. This is the raw stuff. We will even sell you some coal so you won't need to burn wood to process the stuff.
 Elf Merchant: Thanks!

Later, alone with the Elf Merchant: With this miracle metal, the Elves can take the forests back from the Dwarves! All plants shall be avenged!

Later, alone with the Dwarven merchant: Thats the happiest guy I ever saw who bought Microline and Obsidian for that price...
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 10:09:40 pm »

Dwarf Merchant: Adamantine! Straight from the pits!
 Elven Merchant: Really? I thought it was a lot more rare than this, and a lot lighter.
 Dwarf Merchant: Naw, thats processed Adamantine. This is the raw stuff. We will even sell you some coal so you won't need to burn wood to process the stuff.
 Elf Merchant: Thanks!

Later, alone with the Elf Merchant: With this miracle metal, the Elves can take the forests back from the Dwarves! All plants shall be avenged!

Later, alone with the Dwarven merchant: Thats the happiest guy I ever saw who bought Microline and Obsidian for that price...

Nice one there, gave me a good laugh.

I like the lying to merchants idea posted in here, but having to see what it is isn't really anything I'd support. What I WOULD support was not having the "You have struck Alunite! You have struck Alunite! You have struck Alunite! You have struck Alunite!" bit. Yes, I know the one people normally get is microline, but I've had microline in all of one of my forts, and due to the coloration I liked having the microline, so my beef is with alunite.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 06:29:09 am by Joseph Miles »
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 11:53:53 pm »

Yeah. I like the color of microline, and I modded it to have lots of rock crystal and a rare gem sometimes, so I actually actively mine it out now. I should do something for Orthoclase, though. I still hate that stuff, and it's not worth much yet. I'll have to do something about that.

I'm not really into the idea of my dwarves not knowing stuff about rocks, though. That would just get annoying.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Flame11235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2008, 01:32:57 am »

These are dwarves, man. They could SMELL the difference between pyrite and gold.
Those are some wimpy dwarves you got there, mine can hear exactly how pure any ore is at 100 paces, through a vacum.

Vacuum? Hah. MY dwarves can tell exactly how many molecules of gold there are in a chunk sitting on a different planet.

Anvilsmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 11:03:44 am »

Vacuum? Hah. MY dwarves can tell exactly how many molecules of gold there are in a chunk sitting on a different planet.

...Mine just use platinum.

Frankly, gold is about as useless as pyrite right now; the only materials of real worth are coal and iron, which are both found in sedimentary layers (i.e. where gold is absent). That, and as stated above, sedimentary layers contain the more precious platinum.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2008, 11:26:47 am »

I don't really see why gold would be considered useless. I've found that its a great way to make money, as well as furniture/statues/etc to keep nobles happy. Yeah, platinum is better, but you generally find more gold then platinum overall.

Steel is worth a good deal, but until you get late into a fort you're not likely to have enough steel to want to waste it on anything other then armor and weapons. And by the time your fort is that well established, well, generating wealth is pretty easy.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2008, 11:33:32 am »

"You've struck Dwarven Syrup Roast! Praise the Cooks!"

I never realized the sedimentary layers had more gold and platinum. Even in the middle of a forest on the coast?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2008, 12:04:42 pm »

Steel, you tend to either have so little of it that you have to ration it carefully, or so much of it that you're making steel bins just for variety's sake. This is part of how unbalanced sedementary layers are, gameplay-wise (though I suppose that just ends up being more "pick your difficulty level" stuff).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2008, 12:06:11 pm »

Steel, you tend to either have so little of it that you have to ration it carefully, or so much of it that you're making steel bins just for variety's sake. This is part of how unbalanced sedementary layers are, gameplay-wise (though I suppose that just ends up being more "pick your difficulty level" stuff).

I think that's a realism 'reality is unbalanced' thing, which I like

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2008, 12:26:03 pm »

'reality is unbalanced'
MOD THE WOOOORLD.
For best effects, yell this in a gray and steel corridor lit only by a broken halogen bulb (dismembered mannequins line the street), whilst wearing a black pvc button-up vest, fishnet arm-socks and goggles with a violet tint  to the lenses.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2008, 12:46:43 pm »

I eagerly await the day when Toady allows us to mod GLOBAL mineral occurences.

As you are probably aware, currently we can mod occurence rates of the minerals in DF. However, these are usually overruled by global placement preferences, that define where which mineral will appear.

DF should do geology better than that. Each mineral should (in addition to the current environment tokens) have a biome affinity, layer affinity, and placement type, and get distributed throughout the world according to that. By "placement type" I mean stuff like coal being present in vast continuous layers, while kimberlite is usually found as vertical tubes. Layer affinity is the general "depth" on which a mineral is usually found, or rather a depth range at which its appearance is most probable - on the world scale, not local scale, though that may too be included. Biome affinity is more suitable for soils. For example, how many temperate broadleaf forests have you seen growing on red sand? That kind of thing.
All in all, the system will lead to slightly more interesting fortress-building. For example, embarking on a specific type of layer, you may or may not strike a multi-million-ton gold vein. This will make searching for a "perfect" spot a lot harder, but isn't challenge one of the main points in a game?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2008, 01:12:37 pm »

"You've struck Dwarven Syrup Roast! Praise the Cooks!"

I never realized the sedimentary layers had more gold and platinum. Even in the middle of a forest on the coast?

Oh, sorry for the misunderstanding. You probably won't find gold in a sedimentary layer. But granite, gabbro, diorite, and most of the other lower layer rocks can all have native gold. So even in forts that have platinum, I usually end up with way more gold and silver then platinum. As it should be, I suppose.

Looking at wikipedia, it says that gold is 30x more common then platinum. And that it was an "unworkable" metal for most of history. In it's pure state, it was unworkable up until the 20th century. And even now it's usually alloyed with Iridium. Hmm...maybe when metallurgy in DF gets better platinum should require some more advanced techniques to work.

Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 [2]