Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Drugs - Legalisation and such.  (Read 7205 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Drugs - Legalisation and such.
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2009, 10:52:08 am »

Completely ignoring the fact that I really don't want to.
Me neither.  I think it'd be a waste of time, but eh, other people want it so badly, and it's not that harmful.  Less so than alcohol.

I've always wondered whether the reason that it causes less harm is because its illegal? So less people do it so less people get ill?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2009, 02:31:37 pm »

Me neither.  I think it'd be a waste of time, but eh, other people want it so badly, and it's not that harmful.  Less so than alcohol.

I've always wondered whether the reason that it causes less harm is because its illegal? So less people do it so less people get ill?

That's now how they determine how dangerous it is.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2009, 02:50:18 pm »

That makes no sense.  That's like saying cocaine has a weaker effect on a person because it is illegal and so fewer people use it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2009, 06:53:37 am »

There is a much stronger case for making alcohol illegal, at least on health if not social grounds.  Alcohol causes thousands of deaths every year, and due to drink driving and alcohol fuelled violence, it's not even necessarily the abusers.  I believe driving whilst on marijuana is also dangerous, although apparently not as bad as driving drunk.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2009, 06:59:35 am »

There is a much stronger case for making alcohol illegal, at least on health if not social grounds. 

We tried that, remember?  Prohibition didn't exactly work.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 07:01:23 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2009, 07:01:25 am »

There is a much stronger case for making alcohol illegal, at least on health if not social grounds.  Alcohol causes thousands of deaths every year, and due to drink driving and alcohol fuelled violence, it's not even necessarily the abusers.  I believe driving whilst on marijuana is also dangerous, although apparently not as bad as driving drunk.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2009, 09:12:31 am »

Who says it wont work again?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2009, 12:45:13 pm »

Probably the fact that last time we tried the criminal industries grew, and once beer was legal again, those criminal industries just moved their focus to other things.  Basically, all it did was provide opportunities for more gangs to form.  Besides, many alcoholic beverages have significant cultural and religious value.  Banning it is like opening a can of venomous, invisible, fire-breathing snakes.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2009, 01:40:47 pm »

I'm not saying outlaw it. I'm saying heavily tax it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2009, 05:14:32 pm »

I'm not saying outlaw it. I'm saying heavily tax it.
I quite like the idea of the "Price per unit" cap that the UK government is introducing.  It also means that beer in a shop will be roughly the same price as beer in a pub, saving pubs and making people more inclined drink in a safer atmosphere.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]