Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Looking for an RPG  (Read 3095 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an RPG
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 06:56:05 am »

Oooh yeah, Wizardry.  Classic computer RPGing at its classic-est.  Break out the graph paper, and the erasers!  You never know what might happen that will render your maps...less correct than you had hoped...

Making your own Wizardry maps is, by the way, mandatory.  Looking them up online is not allowed.  It's the biggest form of cheating that you can do in Wizardry, because the a lot of the fun and difficulty comes from the fact that you're exploring an unknown dungeon with somewhat unknown rules.

Yep, the Wizardy games were excellent. I remember, that I spent a lot of time playing with Wizardry 6. Some of the in-game puzzles freaked me out to be honest, because my english was quite horrible in those days.... ;D

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 04:19:28 pm »

Hmm. Maybe I should run a LP of Wasteland.

Yes.
Yes yes yes.

I've never won that game. Even with the "create a bunch of characters, dump all their stuff on one guy, delete characters, make more, repeat" cheat.

... Hmm. Perhaps that's why I never finished it.  >:(

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 04:54:03 pm »

Maybe I should run a LP of Wasteland

you know, my first exposure to wasteland was when one of my gradeschool friends got it on his c64.  he named characters after each of our group of friends, and let us know what was going on each week.

it was kind of like a pre-internet LP.

Also, I think Arcanum deserves to be on the list of all-time great computer RPGs.  it gets lots of hate, but it had a great story and multiple solutions to most scenarios.  there really were different paths all through the game, and even NPCs advanced differently depending on your actions.  great all around.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 05:43:53 pm by puke »

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 07:22:41 pm »

And as always I recommend the fanmade patch for it.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2009, 08:44:21 am »

OH, OH! Betrayal at Krondor. It's got what I've always wanted in a RPG:
- Characters going from helpless to powerful
- Ambushes, betrayal, an ally you can't trust
- Dungeon crawling
- Interesting side quests, good conversation
- Lots of little details
- Plot twist

I still love it. Problem is that there's a lot of grinding early on (especially the bard skill). And it gets very easy later on if you grind your skills. But still one of my favorites of all time. Oh, and it's free too. Not "piratable" free, given out by Sierra for free.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2009, 11:43:07 am »

or any of the goldbox games, for that matter.  that whole series was pretty sweet, with Curse of the Azure Bonds and whatever the third one was.  Return to Krondor, maybe, i dont remember.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2009, 01:05:54 pm »

Quote from: Wikipedia
Canadian Ranger Patrol Groups
;)
Spoiler: Don't Read. (click to show/hide)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2009, 04:39:26 pm »

My favorite Gold Box-style RPGs:

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

Like AD&D but with skills. And rockets.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2009, 09:56:33 pm »

Buck Rogers is one of those games that tries to kill you. Not in a funny way. It's still good fun.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: 1 2 [3]