Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modular Fortress Generation  (Read 1327 times)

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
Modular Fortress Generation
« on: May 28, 2009, 05:00:15 am »

I know Toady is planning on making generated fortresses feel more playerish, but I don't know if he has a plan for how to do it. If he doesn't, here is mine...

He could create a module for every type of industry, building, room, etc. These modules would be probably 24x24 squares in size, and they would be designed to fit together seamlessly. This way fortresses can have a more realistic feel, without it having to follow a strict set of rules. Perhaps he could have meta-modules also, which would contain several related modules, but still randomly placed within. Perhaps he could include a module editor, which allows players to create their own modules, perhaps to their own advantage for adventure mode.

Contained within the modules would be: workshops, stockpiles, furniture, engravings, precious metals/gems, weapon racks, armor racks, artifacts etc. Of course a Kings module would contain the engravings, precious objects, artifacts and the like. Whereas a blacksmith module would contain weapons, a forge, an anvil, and typical blacksmith things. Thinking bigger, a meta-module for Metal Industry could contain, a blacksmith, a smelter, a furnace, a specialized weaponsmith module, etc.

Seeing as generated fortresses have limitless resources, you could really give it an uber-realistic feel by putting hammers and water buckets in the blacksmith, scepters in the kings room. You know, all the stuff us players are too lazy to do most the time.

Any further suggestions/ thoughts?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modular Fortress Generation
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2009, 05:25:07 am »

We won't only need to define the materials, but also the economic role in the whole. Where do they get their resources? Where is the produce taken? Who decides what is produced? etc. Obviously, that will be abstracted when no player looks at it, but when visiting a settlement, I think ultimately the goal should be to see the people do their jobs, cook food etc.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Nullvoid01

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 05:31:33 am »

If the player is allowed to place the modules (and make new ones), then we basically have re-usable templates. I like this version of the suggestion.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 06:10:12 am »

@Nullvoid01 You mean automatically set designations using the modules in Fortress Mode? Interesting, hadn't thought of that.

@Selverionmox You can't have people do their jobs without having the workplaces be there already. It wouldn't make sense to program them simultaneously, the automated jobs should be added after the forts can generate themselves using modules.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 06:22:21 am »

Toady has already some templates for buildings (look at the human towns). Since Dwarfes build underground they need not only some templates they need also some procedural placing and building of stuff. For example if they break into the new caves.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 06:51:11 am »

@Selverionmox You can't have people do their jobs without having the workplaces be there already. It wouldn't make sense to program them simultaneously, the automated jobs should be added after the forts can generate themselves using modules.
I'm just saying that generating buildings is eye candy without an economy that gives them reason to be there and the people that work in them a way to sustain themselves. So there should be some resource, population, transport requirements for buildings, to avoid generating a huge foundry in a settlement in a swampy delta.

Nullvoid01

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 10:11:17 am »

Perhaps to decide which modules to use they could be categorized by things like industry.
The fort would then use them based on:
  • Common Resources - For which industries to use (metalwork, crafting, thread, etc...)
  • Local area - the nearby world squares, e.g how we feel abut our neighbours - hate and make fun of their taboos or like and respect them (elves and wood related things)
  • Population - How many food related modules to have, I can't think of anything else this affects

Also, if a market ever gets implemented (ie towns trading between each other automously) it could pick based on what the local forts wants and what the rest of the civ/world wants.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 10:22:50 am »

Population has a huge impact on services available. At the very least there will be more need for courts, jails, administration, etc., but rarer services are usually to be found in population centers. How much music academies does a village need? This being a fantasy game, the occasional alchemist out there in the woods is appropriate, but even then the guy would need to trade with either his products or his saved wealth - he would be a farmer or hunter otherwise.

More dangerous areas could prompt construction of more defensive and military modules, etc. As soon as we have an idea what happens in that settlement, making a choice of buildings is easy.