Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question  (Read 719 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Question
« on: May 24, 2009, 09:56:22 pm »

How do I remove this: "migrants were too nervous to make the journey this season" or whatever the message is?

Also, will a construction remain constructed even if it falls many z-levels?

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 10:05:11 pm »

How do I remove this: "migrants were too nervous to make the journey this season" or whatever the message is?

Also, will a construction remain constructed even if it falls many z-levels?
1: Don't kill your own dwarves or friendlies. It was probably caused by too many deaths.

2: Nope, they turn back into their original building material.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 12:16:57 am »

Dang, I was hoping I could build an underwater fort by dropping huge towers and then pumping the water out. Is there any way to build stuff below you?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 12:28:05 am »

The only truly possible way to build an underwater fort say in the ocean or coming out of the middle of the lake is to give dwarves the [AMPHIBIOUS] tag.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 12:46:23 am »

Hmm... sounds truly epic.
I shall make these dwarves amphibious, build my underwater mountainhome, then remove the [AMPHIBIOUS] tag! It's so crazy that it's highly dwarven!. Bonus points for glass walls. More bonus for dome shapes. Double more bonus for a working airlock system.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 01:13:56 am »

Making dwarves amphibious (or flyers) doesn't work right now. They still don't like going into the water, though they won't drown; moreover, they won't build anything while underwater.

You pretty much have three options for making underwater fortresses:

* Drain the water, build your fortress, then let the water back in. Involves dams, massive pump arrays, abusing burning stuff in steel crates, and the like.

* Wait for the water to freeze, then quickly build your fortress through the winter.

* Drip magma into the water to form obsidian blocks, which will fall and form natural walls. Fill the water with a solid block of these, then carve your fortress out.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 01:37:37 am »

Does the ocean ever freeze? or does it pretty much have to be a lake or river?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 10:30:25 am »

I don't know if saltwater simply has a lower freezing point than you're ever going to get normally, or if it just doesn't freeze.

Try mucking around with the temperature settings in the worldgen parameters text file.

Also, to get more migrants, try making a lot of wealth and trading a lot of that wealth.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.