Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The king is angry, meet your mandates  (Read 995 times)

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
The king is angry, meet your mandates
« on: May 22, 2009, 01:09:17 pm »

May 21st the Devlog says now the king will select a baron from your fortress.

I'm wondering, why would the king do that? Sure, if he is proud of your accomplishments he might, but what if your fortress is Nist Akath? If the king wants you dead, then most certainly the Baron would be an outsider.

So how about mandates from the king to provide needed materials. If you meet your mandates, the king stays happy. If you fail to meet your mandates, the king gets upset and all nobility sent there is outsourced. Of course death of such nobility would probably anger the king until he eventually starts siegeing your fortress...
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: The king is angry, meet your mandates
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 03:35:31 pm »

There's some direct mention of this stuff in the dev notes, and lots of hinting at it.  It's almost certain to be added once the necessary Caravan Arc stuff (especially site resource counts) is in place.

# Core81, TRIBUTE, (Future): The tribute relationships established during world generation should be fleshed out there and then brought into regular play with tribute being transported across the map. These could also occur as part of dwarf mode diplomacy and dwarf mode world map play.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 03:58:21 pm »

I think that the king should definitely notice nobles dieing quickly upon arrival to your fortress-perhaps he could eventually mark it as being in rebellion, and send a force to subdue and reclaim it for the kingdom. You should be sent warning by the king before this happens though. Killing both elves and nobles could result in the elves allying with the dwarves from the mountainhome and being provided with steel armor and weapons. Alternately, you could take advantage of this and play them off against each other-having the elves believe that the KING'S forces attacked their traders, and the king believe the ELVES killed his nobles. But only if your expedition leader/mayor is *very* skilled at lieing or persuading-or both. They might figure it out eventually, and both come to siege you, but that should be more than enough time to prepare. For extra fun, have the humans believe that BOTH elves and the king's forces slaughtered their traders and diplomat. I love this idea.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 04:04:57 pm »

I think that the king should definitely notice nobles dieing quickly upon arrival to your fortress-perhaps he could eventually mark it as being in rebellion, and send a force to subdue and reclaim it for the kingdom. You should be sent warning by the king before this happens though. Killing both elves and nobles could result in the elves allying with the dwarves from the mountainhome and being provided with steel armor and weapons. Alternately, you could take advantage of this and play them off against each other-having the elves believe that the KING'S forces attacked their traders, and the king believe the ELVES killed his nobles. But only if your expedition leader/mayor is *very* skilled at lieing or persuading-or both. They might figure it out eventually, and both come to siege you, but that should be more than enough time to prepare. For extra fun, have the humans believe that BOTH elves and the king's forces slaughtered their traders and diplomat. I love this idea.

This  sounds  awesome. So awesome infact that I could not say the sentence in one breath.

The only way the Dwarf Mountain home, (i.e. not your fort) Versus the elves could begin is if you have a high level of nobility within in your fort and perhaps a legendary persuader but than again how do you train that to begin with?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 07:12:09 pm »

What if you sent the tribute to the king and it kept getting stolen.
You dont have to tell the king his favourite son died anyway.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:35:24 am »

The main point is if you make the mountainhomes happy, you can have dwarves from your own home raised to nobility, but if the mountainhomes are unhappy, they come from outside.

I thought it up because of the recent devlog saying barons can be raised from your own dwarves now.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Wiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 09:01:56 am »

I think that the king should definitely notice nobles dieing quickly upon arrival to your fortress-perhaps he could eventually mark it as being in rebellion, and send a force to subdue and reclaim it for the kingdom.

But how would he notice that? Obviously the only way he'd be able to know that is after someone spreads the news.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 04:09:45 pm »

Conversationalist should also include gossip actions and not to mention when your dwarfs are hauling goods to the Trade Depot should the merchants over hear such things as.

Dwarf A: Where has the Baron been, he hasn't issued any mandates for Admantine Anvils in a long time.
Dwarf B: Beats me but I sure didn't like the bastard in the first place!

Merchant over hears and soon the gossip and rumors spread that the player has killed off one of his nobles.

Also how about some sort of noble associated with visiting the other nobles? Such as extended noble families who will only come to visit for about a month and leave but if they don't hear from their family than and only than will noble family relations hips be stymied.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 02:47:21 pm »

I think that magma flooding someone's room and/or being unable to produce a corpse (or one with puncture wounds/crushed on a repeated basis) would be a clear sign to the king that something was amiss. A good king is not a stupid king; if they notice that they keep loosing contact with nobles shortly after they arrive at their new fiefdom, they're going to suspect foul play. They might send a team to investigate and interrogate the inhabitants, or they might take punitive action-say, with an army to crush a center of perceived rebellion. Or appoint someone known for being rather..."draconian" in their ways to the position to bring the inhabitants in line-with guards to ensure that things go smoothly.

Remember, the various lords did have to interact with the king and be part of his court if they wanted to get anywhere; he's going to notice that someone he used to hear from every few days has suddenly stopped sending messages. If multiple members of the nobility follow the same pattern, then he would be an idiot not to notice-and by extension, he would be a idiot to not take action.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.