Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Homemade weapons  (Read 3199 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Homemade weapons
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2009, 04:50:08 am »

If you view table legs as rectangular prisms, then they would be sharper, and thus be more likely to deal extra damage and cut your own hands as they became more masterful.

If you view table legs as cylinders, then there would be less accuracy, and more likely to drop the weapon, as the cylinder would be more smooth.

Also, weight should vary more as farther from masterful, because thye cuoold be extra large, or extra small.
In general, though, I would assume that masterful things are better balanced, which would make them at least slightly better weapons (even if that's not specifically what they're intended for.)  Masterful things are also, in many cases going to be harder to break (not always, but often), which means you can use them to hit harder.

But, basically, this is just a rule of cool thing, to an extent.  Beating someone up with a masterfully ornate table famed around the world as a triumph of tablework is just more epic than beating them up with a shoddy nothing-table.

And, additionally, from a gameplay perspective I think it's generally good to reward high quality in as many ways as possible.  Having more things dependent on quality adds additional distinctions for objects that makes finding a high-quality thing more interesting to an adventurer, and makes raising highly-skilled dwarves more interesting in dwarf mode.

Of course, weight and material hardness should also play a major role...  there's no reason the game can't consider many factors.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2009, 07:29:14 am »

If a rectangular table leg is able to cut me, I'd think it was very far from masterwork.  Though I see Aquillon's point.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2009, 08:09:42 am »

If a rectangular table leg is able to cut me, I'd think it was very far from masterwork.  Though I see Aquillon's point.

Probably, if you pinned it on someones chest hard enough it should atleast do something really nasty.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 06:51:32 am »

Anything that can go together should go together. Even if it is a sea urchin on a stick called a mace. Hell you could make a weapon out of a rotten chunk of meat and a broom, but it wouldnt do much damage.
Pages: 1 2 [3]