Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuff thrown around the fortress.  (Read 771 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Stuff thrown around the fortress.
« on: May 23, 2009, 10:03:10 pm »

Seriously how did those goblins manage to move that adamantine anvil onto the other side of the fortress? And what about that platnium coffin?
Do the scavengers need to throw all those socks into the river?
Some intelligence needs to be given to how the game throws around stuff once you abandon the fortress, Things get thrown around the room its in and maybe a few metres outside it.
And are things going to ever get stolen?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Stuff thrown around the fortress.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 11:54:10 pm »

I'd imagine it's half-ass implemented right now because the game is in early alpha and there's almost no AI at all for governing what happens to fortresses when the player is away.   So yeah, fairly sure if you'd check the devnotes you'd find something about this.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 12:40:16 am »

Will do.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 11:26:41 pm »

I'd hope the stuff being strewn around "feature" will get done away with completely. It pretty much has to if adventure mode homes are to be realized some day. No point in building a cabin if you can't have stuff in it and have it actually stay put

If goblins conquer the fort, they should probably ship any useful goods away, complete with caravans moving around the worldmap with other races harassing them when applicable

It'd be nice to go explore a recently conquered fort and find goblins looting it systematically, wagons waiting outside and everything. Rotting clothed bodies still littering the hallways etc

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 01:30:35 am »

I think the game actually just doesn't track the position of anything on the ground once a location is 'offloaded'.  At the moment, at least.

IIRC fixing that is one of the steps that is necessary for adventurer homes and so on.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 03:52:46 am »

I think the game actually just doesn't track the position of anything on the ground once a location is 'offloaded'.  At the moment, at least.

It tracks it just fine when it wants to.  Sufficiently heavy items always stay put.

Here's the dev item Capntastic may have been referring to, since it's helpful to have these things quoted in the thread:

# Core70, FORTRESS RUINS, PRODUCTION TRACKING AND HISTORY TRIGGERS, (Future): Right now, an abandoned fortress is basically a scattered mass of crap. If any item is moved, there should at least be a plausible reason for it to happen. Additionally, since tracking too many items in fortress mode can lead to problems, one early idea was to add additional items after abandonment that would flesh out the fortress, such as production logs and diaries. These would have to be squared with reclaim, however. Depending on how that works out, the items themselves might occur during standard play instead or not at all. In any case, various facts about production and prominent (and other) artisans need to be tracked and available after sufficient poking around (or earlier should the parameters call for it, as with historical events).