Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pointless megastructure taken to the next level  (Read 1486 times)

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pointless megastructure taken to the next level
« on: May 26, 2009, 09:37:48 pm »

After many failed attempts, I finally made it!

Almost 200 brave dwarves have died during its creation, many more have suffered periods with lack of alcohol. Several have lost their friends due to failed moods. Some felt the cold embrace of aquifier water during wintertime, and was frosen for eternity (or until summer..) This fort even survived a tantrum spiral early on, as well as several sieges which more than halfed the inhabitants. Still more brave/stupid dwarves kept coming in to help finish this marvellous creation, and now, 8 years later, it is finally complete!

Boasting a 14-z tall watercistern, using more than 6000 Power to function, 7 levers of fun! Big self-sustaining powerstation which pumps out nearly 10000 power! (Ok, I might have went a bit overkill with this one...) More than 10000 constructions total..  :o wow..
I present the wonderous mega-structure, "Fleshgates of Drowning" a.k.a. "Elven box of eternal happiness". I basically walled in an entire elf village, put flooring on top as a roof, and connected a huge watertower with loads of pumps for maximum pointless.

Pictures:
Powerstation:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Base of the watertower before:
Base of the watertower after:
resulting fun:
Explaining the levers in the lever-room just north of the pump-tower:

savefile (first hit on google..): http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=febdeeb8396a48f1b94117dade8fc295e04e75f6e8ebb871
Map archive: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5899-fleshgatesofdrowning
Note: Extreme amounts of water, and extreme amounts of power makes the fps die out.
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Sara-chan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sara's Homepage
Re: Pointless megastructure taken to the next level
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 09:45:29 pm »

Now, you just need to find some way to convert it to fusion energy.
All jokes aside though, pretty dwarven, and impressive.
Nyu?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 10:43:42 pm »

*salutes*
You are a true dwarven hero.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:15:17 pm »

It kills elves. It has a point.

Although by this logic a giant wooden dwarf sprite would not be pointless because it would piss off elves. Don't take this idea too seriously. You did a good job of adding much more power than necessary for anything.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 07:33:11 pm »

"Hey, Oda, what do ya suppose those dwarves are building?"

"I think they said something about 'never having to water our crops again' when they were done. That would be nice - its so rare to find such kind and generous dwarves."

"Yes, it is indeed. We're lucky to have them around. Though I do wonder why they are making it so very big..."

ANNOUNCED FROM THE TOP OF WATER TOWER: "ALL THE BETTER TO DROWN YOU WITH!"

::elves die::