Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possibly an exploit?  (Read 956 times)

KilgoreTrout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possibly an exploit?
« on: May 22, 2009, 01:02:26 am »

I just encountered the "eternal unloading" bug with the Autumn traders, and I decided to demolish and rebuild the depot.

After the depot was destroyed, my dwarves began to collect the objects the traders brought with them, as if they were owned by us now.

What the hell is going on?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
Re: Possibly an exploit?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:18:23 am »

This has always been. So has the search button.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 04:34:04 am »

Trade caravans use mysterious and arcane methods to travel. This allows them to travel unhindered through vast goblin territories until they reach your gates but occaisionally anomalies in the upper gated samophlange cause the caravan to get stuck in a dimensional pocket above the trade depot until it is destroyed, or the caravan explodes, or rides into the depot and then through it, vanishing into sheer rock forever.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 05:51:46 am »

This has always been. So has the search button.

What exactly would you type into the search field to find this?  And besides, at least it's not a wounded cat.

Anyways, yeah.  This happens.  The traders will also react as though you stole all the stuff from them, although that's not really a big deal.  I don't remember if you can sell stuff acquired in this way...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:09:22 am »

Your just stealing their goods, nothing to worry about.  I do it all the time.

Sir_Geo

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 07:39:45 am »

You are able to sell the stuff you get by using this method to other traders.

I'm not sure but I think this method also prevents any negatives reactions from that civ aside from the lack of profit (please correct me if I'm wrong.)
The logistical problems dealing with a private space colony are at least as bad as dealing with the zombies.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-5403-fortressdipped
Fortressdipped, my ice castle.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 08:06:22 am »

I'm not sure but I think this method also prevents any negatives reactions from that civ aside from the lack of profit (please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Not sure it's been confirmed one way or the other, but I've heard that negative reactions depend solely on how much stuff makes it back to the civ (i.e., how much of a profit they make).  I'm inclined to believe this because I've seen the yearly value of caravans drop sharply after either a couple years of stealing, or a couple years of murdering merchants.

Of course, you won't get a truly negative reaction (like a siege) unless the liaison doesn't make it back.