Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mounts  (Read 647 times)

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mounts
« on: May 20, 2009, 10:56:50 pm »

I have never managed to convince the humans to go to war with me, although hopefully in the future I will be able to through generous supplies of magma and locking meeting room doors. Nonetheless, I'm really interested in the idea of humans riding horses into battle. How does this work? Is the soldier part of the horse's inventory? Can you kill the horses? Do they travel a lot faster than they could otherwise? If anyone could tell me an exciting story about them being under siege by mounted knights I would be very interested as I feel this is one of the coolest features that I have yet to see in action.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mounts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 01:25:15 am »

Basically the human and the horse occupy the same space. You can kill the horse, and when they hit traps, the horse will usually (always?) be the one that triggers the trap and the human will be unmounted and would hit the next trap.

They do travel faster. The biggest difference with the humans is that they usually don't swarm your fortress. They'll sit back near the edge of the map, start a campfire (seriously) and eventually wander toward your fortress but usually stay out of range of your ranged units. I usually have to work pretty hard to lure them in close enough to be shot at. It's quite different from orcs or gobbos and feels a lot more like a siege to me.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:01:12 am »

Well in my two human sieges in the dark dwarf mod the horses run away from everything like scared wild animals like some wierd carry on film with my champions chasing horses and humans all over map!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 03:22:08 pm »

Well in my two human sieges in the dark dwarf mod the horses run away from everything like scared wild animals like some wierd carry on film with my champions chasing horses and humans all over map!
Well, dwarves probably look a lot bigger up close.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 04:05:36 pm »

Yeah, they can be killed.

The 'Dangerous Wilds' mod gives High Elves pegasus mounts. If you thought mounted humans were dangerous, try a bunch of flying bowmen. Not fun to try and deal with.