Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Working on a new mod, questions and suggestions!  (Read 679 times)

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Working on a new mod, questions and suggestions!
« on: May 19, 2009, 10:49:20 pm »

UPDATE LOG
Updated May 20th, 2009.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
New reactions for glass.
The defensive and offensive % of the types of metals are listed below.
The following creatures are now tamable.

This mod focuses on three things.

1 - Military challenge
2 - Megaprojects
3 - Being rather ridiculous, but fun!

For the military challenge, I am improving every single creature in the game, both attack and defense wise, as well as creating new creatures (which are hideous abominations to nature), and making goblins have access to adamantine.  I may also reduce the strength of crossbows, but I'm unsure of that yet.

Now of course, killing the goblins means you get free adamantine that you can melt down and reforge, but picture the other side to that.  Increased fortress wealth means more and larger sieges.

Now for megaprojects.  I'm increasing the appearance rate of Bauxite, so you have a higher chance to be able to work with magma.  I'm also going to increase the appearance rate of sand layers, for glass megaprojects.

On a random note, I have added in a BEARD body part.  Appears on Dwarves, obviously.

Here's a list of several of the creatures, with a brief explanation.  I would also like to say that yes, I have created graphics for them all, they fit nicely with the Mayday set.  Since a few of them are just edits of current creatures anyway.

Now, for my questions.

Should I reduce the appearance rate of aquifers, so that more maps are easily usable without hassles?

And I would like to say that if anyone has any suggestions, for any creatures or features, no matter how ridiculous, please do tell.  As you can tell, some of my current creatures are already pretty ridiculous...
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 09:30:35 pm by Michaelsoftman »

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Working on a new mod, questions and suggestions!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 02:02:16 am »

Can't say I know much about modding (in this game, that is), but a potentially totally incorrect warning:  A dwarf with a severed beard would suffer from the current silliness of succumbing to pain from long-past injury.  Though the shame this would cause might actually be akin to physical pain, so it might be realistic.

Humorous new creatures, but maybe a bit too heavy on the in-jokes.  Some sound downright impossible due to the way the game currently works, but I figure if they are uncommon enough and don't appear in huge groups, they could work.

You should up dwarf speed so megaprojects can be churned out faster.

Oh, and I wouldn't drop the appearance of aquifers too much, as some projects will use them as either a plain water source, an infinite water source, or an infinite water sink.

Reactions for rare/site-specific materials would be nice, such as alternative source for wood.

I recall a recent topic about modding in glass arrows, and I know the elder scrolls games have glass armor/weapons, so perhaps a whole set of glass-related furniture, weapons, and armor would be cool (same could be said for wood, obscure metals, ice, bone, or stone, esp. obsidian).

More trainable/tradable creatures can make a site very personalized.  I recall yet another topic that mentioned capturing and training war polar bears to guard an ice fortress.  Parrot pets for pirate dwarfs?
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 08:39:07 am »

Some of these creatures sound awesome, and from what I see by looking at it, none of them would be downright impossible, though the noble and the elf would lack clothing unless you attached it to their bodies. There is just one thing that I would like to point out, clothing dropped by an itemcorpse, such as you are suggesting with the noble, will always be the wrong size, so you should probably come up with something different for them.

P.S. For the Damblock in Fortress mode, I am not sure, however, I have found that a good level for semimegabeasts in Adventure mode is a size of 10 and a Damblock of ~15, with both sides suffering about the same amount of losses.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 10:19:33 am »

I was going to implement silly humorous creatures in DFCP mod, but then I decided not to...

Well, if you're going to head in this direction:
-flaming noble (my first idea ever)
-sock-o-death (flying posessed adamantine sock)
-evil plump helmet ("You eat my family all the time!")
-gray bad wolf (drops red riding hood corpse on death)
-wabbit! (megabeast, small, fast and furious, requires a Holy Hand Grenade to kill)
-lolcats (cat's cousins, they travel in packs and kill... kill... kill...)
-sabertooth squirrels (because they are awesome)
-dragonfish (basically firebreathing carp)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 10:36:58 am »

Can't say I know much about modding (in this game, that is), but a potentially totally incorrect warning:  A dwarf with a severed beard would suffer from the current silliness of succumbing to pain from long-past injury.  Though the shame this would cause might actually be akin to physical pain, so it might be realistic.

Yes, I'm aware of Dwarves losing their beards and suffering.  I really can't do anything about that other than remove the beard body part, but for now at least it's staying in.

Humorous new creatures, but maybe a bit too heavy on the in-jokes.  Some sound downright impossible due to the way the game currently works, but I figure if they are uncommon enough and don't appear in huge groups, they could work.

All of the creatures I have listed are currently working in perfect order.  The stronger ones appear alone, the weaker ones, like the flying Rhesus' appear in groups.

You should up dwarf speed so megaprojects can be churned out faster.

Oh, and I wouldn't drop the appearance of aquifers too much, as some projects will use them as either a plain water source, an infinite water source, or an infinite water sink.

Reactions for rare/site-specific materials would be nice, such as alternative source for wood.

I recall a recent topic about modding in glass arrows, and I know the elder scrolls games have glass armor/weapons, so perhaps a whole set of glass-related furniture, weapons, and armor would be cool (same could be said for wood, obscure metals, ice, bone, or stone, esp. obsidian).

More trainable/tradable creatures can make a site very personalized.  I recall yet another topic that mentioned capturing and training war polar bears to guard an ice fortress.  Parrot pets for pirate dwarfs?

I guess I'll leave aquifers alone for now.

I heard that increasing the Dwarves speed also increases the amount of times they can attack in a battle before their opponent can.  Is this true?

Can do with the creatures, and reactions.

However I'm unsure of how to enable glass to be used for armor and weapons and such.  I don't think glass is listed in the raws, unless I'm looking in the wrong spot...

Some of these creatures sound awesome, and from what I see by looking at it, none of them would be downright impossible, though the noble and the elf would lack clothing unless you attached it to their bodies. There is just one thing that I would like to point out, clothing dropped by an itemcorpse, such as you are suggesting with the noble, will always be the wrong size, so you should probably come up with something different for them.

P.S. For the Damblock in Fortress mode, I am not sure, however, I have found that a good level for semimegabeasts in Adventure mode is a size of 10 and a Damblock of ~15, with both sides suffering about the same amount of losses.

Thanks for the tip.  And yeah, the clothing comes out as 'large' so Dwarves can't wear it, but I figured maybe it would at least function as a trading good?

But I'll see if I can't find anything better.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 10:41:19 am »

I was going to implement silly humorous creatures in DFCP mod, but then I decided not to...

Well, if you're going to head in this direction:
-flaming noble (my first idea ever)
-sock-o-death (flying posessed adamantine sock)
-evil plump helmet ("You eat my family all the time!")
-gray bad wolf (drops red riding hood corpse on death)
-wabbit! (megabeast, small, fast and furious, requires a Holy Hand Grenade to kill)
-lolcats (cat's cousins, they travel in packs and kill... kill... kill...)
-sabertooth squirrels (because they are awesome)
-dragonfish (basically firebreathing carp)

Hmm, if I gave carp the ability to breathe fire, would they be able to shoot fireballs if they're swimming around in the river?  I heard fire can be shot up and down z levels.

I like your other ideas though  :)  I'll see what I can do with them.

Since I'm drawing graphics for these, I try to mod in only creatures I'm able to draw... ::)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 02:12:13 pm »

If you're unable to draw something, just ask. I have some experience and I am sure there will be more competent people ready to contribute.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 02:50:51 pm »

If you're unable to draw something, just ask. I have some experience and I am sure there will be more competent people ready to contribute.

Thanks for the offer!  So far I'm good with drawing my creatures, but if I need any help, I'll ask here.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 09:34:55 pm »

Glass can now be used for weapons and armor and the like.  I'll try to work on more metals, bone, stone, and ice next.  Many of the current creatures can also be tamed as well.  I'll create more custom ones for more personalization.

What would you suggest for this?

Also, the first post has been updated with my progress.