Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 890 times)

Hyfrydle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few questions
« on: May 20, 2009, 05:51:45 am »

I have been reading some of the stories on the forums and it seems there is a way of assigning specific weapns to dwarves is this true and if so how?

Also can anyone explain how to setup archery ranges that dwarves actually use as in my current fort only the odd dwarf seems to train.

Any help much appreciated.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 05:54:39 am »

Military dwarves can be assigned specific weapons using either the soldiering and hunting preferences on their labor menu or from the military screen. Elite dwarves can only be assigned weapons from the military screen.

Each archery range must be designated as a room for them to work properly, unlike most other furniture in rooms designated from furniture.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Hyfrydle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 05:57:02 am »

Thanks for the reply I've done this and still they aren't used by all dwarves equipped with crossbows. I also have plenty of ammo so that's not the issue.

Chucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 06:27:59 am »

Are you sure you've set up the archery ranges correctly? ie. firing from left to right/top to bottom etc ... whichever is appropriate to your specific range?

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 06:33:09 am »

Thanks for the reply I've done this and still they aren't used by all dwarves equipped with crossbows. I also have plenty of ammo so that's not the issue.
Are you sure you've got enough wood/bone bolts, dwarf only want to train with those two types of bolts. It's possible you for example bought a few stacks from an elven caravan, but not enough stacks for all ofyour marskdwarfs. If you got wood/bones you can make your own bolts at the craftsdwarf's workshop.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 02:48:36 pm »

I had the same archery range problem in my last fort. In the new one, I realized that the archery range is only used by off-duty military makrsdwarves. Per the wiki, civilians won't use them regardless of what weapon you've outfitted them with. The requirements to get dwarves to actually practice, therefore, are:

1) Build an archery range of sufficient size. It doesn't have to be huge, just big enough to practice at.
2) Keep churning out wood or bone bolts; they won't practice with other kinds.
3) Have a squad of marksdwarves and schedule them off duty.

In my current fort, the constant ambushes and sieges have left me with quite a lot of bone. I set up a stockpile for just bones and skulls near a craftsdwarf's workshop, and turned off those items on all othe refuse stockpiles. Then whenever I have a supply, I setup "Make bone bolts /R" and "Make totem /R"--the latter being a good way to get rid of skulls and keep my several legendary bone carvers busy. I haven't had to make wooden bolts yet.

You can leave your marksdwarves off duty for quite a while, since you usually only need them at the beginning of a season.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 02:52:31 pm »

My moat arrangement means pretty much everyone can be off duty.  One way in, the bridge, can be closed at the flick of a lever.  All the goblins stop, and do nothing.  My squads get back on duty, station next to the bridge.  Lever pulled again, ready for carnage.