Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Difficulty of an area  (Read 589 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Difficulty of an area
« on: May 22, 2009, 07:03:27 am »

When choosing your starting location, you should be informed how difficult the location is. An area with lots of vegetation, a stream, and calm wildlife would be easy, but if it had no vegetation no water and sinister wildlife would be difficult.
Verbal Abuse?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulty of an area
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 07:09:06 am »

It already has difficulty messages for difficult areas like aquifers and for oceans.

Still, the fact that biomes overlap and every region is different makes it hard to give a specific difficulty number. There can in fact be a HFS in a serene area, and goblins don't really care if you are in a serene area or not. Really though, the evilness and savagery indicators are really good difficulty indicators in general.

In fact, you might even get carp in a serene area, know what I'm saying.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 02:02:47 pm »

This "diff. level idea" has been brought up more times already.  ;)
I don't know....perhaps this would be a helpful feature for newbies...other than that, it's good for nothing.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 03:37:51 pm »

I think the current warnings about lack of freshwater/stone/etc. are one of the few places where the game actually does a good job of helping newbies out.  Some additional warnings about the lack of trees or likely presence of really mean creatures might be warranted, I guess.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 03:40:57 pm »

When choosing your starting location, you should be informed how difficult the location is. An area with lots of vegetation, a stream, and calm wildlife would be easy, but if it had no vegetation no water and sinister wildlife would be difficult.
Verbal Abuse?

Shouldn't common sense prevail here... I mean if you pick the proverbial haunted glacier with and aquifer under it, that's exactly what you're getting... (ie- no trees, no sand, no 'easy' water, plenty of horror, and extremes of temperature.) The consequences of that should be somewhat apparent.