Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Silly creature: booze elementals  (Read 1331 times)

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Silly creature: booze elementals
« on: May 10, 2009, 06:09:01 am »

I saw that one of the planned features is a randomly triggered region/sphere event that will animate corpses into undead creatures, so I thought: why not have a similar random event that will select a single (full) barrel of booze and animate the liquid into a booze elemental?  The event will cause negative thoughts (of the "what a waste" variety) for dwarfs which haven't had a drink in a while, dwarfs for which that type of booze is their favorite, brewers, and the brewer which brewed that particular barrel (if all conditions are met for the same dwarf the cumulative effect might send them into a tantrum).  Since dwarven booze is highly flammable you can fight the elemental by setting it on fire, but not only does this give it the chance to set other things on fire before it dies, but it isn't very dwarf-like.  The dwarf-like way of fighting it is to dive into it head first and start guzzling with all your might.  The elemental will eject the dwarf, who will dive back in again.  This would probably be more amusing if the game tracked multiple levels of drunkenness, so that a just few dwarfs fighting it will get falling down drunk, and single dwarf fighting it will die of alcohol poisoning.

Another use for booze elementals: when magic is implemented, there can be a Summon Booze Elemental spell/skill, with booze elementals being the easiest type (or only type) of elemental for dwarfs to summon, because of their natural affinity for booze.  When faced with a siege the dwarfs can turn a barrel of booze into an elemental, set it on fire, then send it against their enemies to set them on fire.  And if used in a manner other than a walking Molotov cocktail, maybe the type of booze used could affect their stats and abilities somehow.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
Re: Silly creature: booze elementals
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 06:34:34 am »

Great idea! Really, I'd love to simply kill (convert?) the attackers using such elemental. And maybe it could also be used as a way to END tantrums. Instead of hammering the poor ol' fella, let him be ''tortured'' by such an elemental. Dwarven Justice made fun!
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 11:01:32 am »

For some reason I picture a florresent red version of the pokemon Grimmer.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 05:33:14 am »

For some reason these creatures are only seem after a few nights of hard drinking.

ZombieRoboNinja

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 06:17:28 pm »

A dwarf dying of alcohol poisoning? Is that physically possible?

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 01:54:49 am »

Zombie, it is indeed possible...
It takes more booze than actually exists in the game, but it's possible.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

wallie79r

• Bay Watcher
  • Ravenous Seal
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 09:38:14 pm »

I'm not sure a dwarf could die of alcohol poisoning, realistically. The problem is, you can only be drinking a set amount of booze at any given moment, and after a few hours its going to start going about as fast as it comes in. If nothing else, I'd say rupturing the stomach or severely disrupting body ph level would be far more lethal than the actual alcohol.
This world will burn and with it end the reign of man, a mercy stroke!

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 11:36:23 pm »

They can't die if they're drinking something wimpy like ethanol. If you use something more dwarvenly like methanol, they just might.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 01:44:17 am »

Isn't this more technically a Booze Golem then a Booze Elemental?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 03:14:32 am »

This is actually--bizarrely--appropriate and thematic, considering there was the equivalent of a "booze elemental" in Norse mythology.

Well, sortof...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kvasir

What makes it even more appropriate is that Kvasir was murdered by dwarfs, and his blood was then mixed with honey and made into a potent drink (mead), which had the ability to grant the gift of poetic genius to anyone who drank it.

So yeah, you hit this one right on the nail, Khym Chanur.
For they would be your masters.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 03:35:23 am »

To me that wikipedia article reads like something you'd kind of see in a dwarven engraving, doesn't it?

All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the bracelet is an image in dog leather of a vanir and a salmon. The vanir is picking up the salmon. This image depicts the catching of the salmon Loki by the vanir Kvasir in year 202.
On the bracelet is an image in limestone of a vanir and dwarves. The vanir is surounded by the dwarves. The dwarves are striking a menacing pose. This image depicts the murder of the Vanir Kvasir by the dwarves Fjalar and Gavar in year 203.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 05:16:01 am »

the equivalent of a "booze elemental" in Norse mythology

I don't think there can be a Booze Elemental if only because it isn't a natural substance that occurs in great enough quantities in nature.

Elementals are closer to spirits (In fact they are spirits)

Amalgamations of substances are closer to golems and humonculi

Though the other interpretation is that the alcohol always had the ability to come to life... it just was dormant. Then it could qualify as an Elemental.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:17:34 am by Neonivek »

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 05:50:43 am »

Well..."equivalent" in this case is a very relative term.

And certainly, the process of fermentation is, itself, an entirely natural reaction. So while you might not get high quality hooch just by tapping a tree, the fruit from that tree-when properly rotted-can atleast get a bunch of hungry deer drunk.

The story of Kvasir is a very symbolic one, though, being part of the 'Aesir-Vanir' war (a war we know almost nothing about, even in story form), so it's another case of a myth (one that probably had a much different meaning for it's originators than it does for us today), taking on a strange and magical life of it's own. Literally, in this case.
For they would be your masters.