Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why are there dead animals in my dining room?  (Read 615 times)

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why are there dead animals in my dining room?
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:26:34 am »

My dining room has tables, chairs, a couple doors, a stockpile that only allows prepared food, five dead horses, two dead groundhogs, and a dead mule.

I do not have a butcher shop or a hunter.  I do not see any random injuries among the living that could indicate temperature damage.

I still have one living horse and one living donkey in my dining room (meeting hall), but my dwarves are getting fairly wary.

I don't think it needs to be said, but no, I do not have a magma fountain or any moving parts in my dining room.  What could be going on here?

On an unrelated note if anyone needs any bones I expect to have a bumper crop soon.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why are there dead animals in my dining room?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:30:40 am »

Ahh nevermind, I am an idiot.  I am currently doing a reclaim and I started with a "Ranger", which of course includes the hunter job.

Still, it was nice to see my hunter decided that the best place to kill things was the dining room.  I thought that if the animals are tame they'd be exempt from hunting but I guess not.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 01:00:50 pm »

It's possible to have wild horses, even without a reclaim. And if you don't have a butcher, the meeting hall is where the hunter tends to dump his kills.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 06:03:00 pm »

Also, if they are pets then dwarves are reluctant to dump them into a refuse pile.  Apparently Muffins is too precious a kitty cat to rot with the other earthly creatures

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 09:18:54 pm »

I believe pets head to your graveyard.

As for another explination as to the dead animals in your meeting room... Old age.  I've had entire packs of anything with multiple litters drop within days for me.