Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linux Disscussion: Newest Version of Ubuntu... oh my god...  (Read 2084 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile

State your linux success, or fail stories-

So some of you might remember me stating that I was installing linux way back when...

So I just now installed version 9.04 of Ubuntu. I feel like I've rediscovered the speed my computer SHOULD be running at. My computer is good, but on vista/windows 7 (especially vista) you can notice tiny system hang when clicking around, but on the fresh ubuntu install, everything's lightning fast and practically instantaneous. I boot in less than 20 seconds. The Ext4 file system helps a lot.

Color me fucking impressed. For all my general computer use I will be stuck on ubuntu now, only dual booting windows for games and photoshop/premiere.

I'm going to install Damn Small Linux on an old laptop this weekend :D

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Disscussion: Newest Version of Ubuntu... oh my god...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 05:03:37 pm »

It's alright. I tried 9.04 as soon as it was released. It isn't a commercial OS killer, but the jump in polish and performance is considerable enough that everyone should give it a shot. I'd be running linux, but I could NEVER get any networking to work.

Captain Hat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 08:12:14 pm »

I've got it on a dual boot now. The only reason I ever need to boot into Windows is for games.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 01:25:41 pm »

I don't much care for Ubuntu. I'm more of an OpenSUSE or Arch kind of person.

To anyone interested, Arch is awesome. It's insanely customizable, not locking you into one certain WM/DM straight off. You start off with just the CLI and you install just what you need using pacman (similar to apt-get for Debian/Ubuntu). I'm a tinkerer though, so Arch is boring for me. After it's all set up, it just works. No fiddling.

Related. For those who think their Linux installs are much too stable, some guy in the linked thread has an app that randomly kills one process and doesn't tell you which it is. Just like Windows!