Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Civilization Forge: Jawa Trading Post  (Read 1140 times)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Civilization Forge: Jawa Trading Post
« on: March 24, 2009, 10:18:11 pm »

This is the thread for the next CivForge variant, the Jawa Trading Post!

I've done a little playing around with them so far. Interestingly, since they came from a thieving race they had the SKULKER tag in the civ entry. This meant that ALL jawas started off with basic Ambusher proficiency. Which is cool, but also somewhat annoying as all migrants come in claiming to be hunters, even though they won't have hunting turned on unless they are actually hunters.

So far, I've given them most non-farming abilities. They're supposed to live in deserts and badlands by nature, so farming just doesn't seem to be up their alley. Although they can do herbalism if your map has shrubs.

Working out ok so far. My test fortress is mostly relying on crossbows for defense, since at size 4 they pretty well suck at combat. And they're pretty cowardly.

Any thoughts from you guys? Traits you'd like to see, things you want to avoid, stuff like that?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sinergistic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization Forge: Jawa Trading Post
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 11:01:39 pm »

How do you plan to feed a fort over the long term without farming?

IIRC, hunting runs out after a while, as does fishing (but a desert race doesn't fish, mm?)

ninja: oh, breeding.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 11:16:52 pm »

And, as the name suggests, trading.

Since CivForge has lots of potential trading partners, feeding a fort off of what's brought with caravans isn't really that hard to do.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 04:52:56 pm »

But will they have the power convertors I need?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 06:04:06 pm »

Well, this sort of fell onto the back burner for a bit, but I'll try to get some more work done on it tonight.

Any specific ideas anyone has for them?
Come play Mafia with us!

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 06:53:17 am »

Jawas would work well for the caravan arc I guess, seeing as they are featured in the starwars movies as nomadic traders. Though it must be said that starwars creatures seem quite out of place.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 09:44:40 am »

I know they are, but they amuse me.
Come play Mafia with us!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 05:11:15 am »

Just turn it into total conversion Star Wars mod (I actually had this idea, lol; I did LOTR, Forgotten Realms, even Fallout, why not Star Wars? :D).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 11:42:33 am »

While that would be interesting, I don't think I have the time right now to do it justice. So I think the Jawas will just end up with a fairly simple variant.
Come play Mafia with us!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 12:37:05 pm »

Still MUCH better than nothing. Give them rusty pipes and ion blasters :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

P-Luke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 06:32:38 pm »

I think I'd like playing as jawa's (although I'd probably rename them myself to halflings of gnomes or whatnot, to fit the fantasy setting).

What I would like to see as features:
- They should only bring along pack animals, like mules, muskoxes, bactrians and dromedarisses. But also elephants and mountain goats. No cows and pigs for hunters.
- Make them unable to be miners. I know this is a HUGE change to the game, but it would definately add to their awesomeness. They can still bring along rocks on embark, or get them through trade of course. It's just that they won't be digging their way into a gold vein.
- Make the migrants pretty much only wear leather. Cloth doesnt seem to fit them, being nomands and all, but metals seem to advanced too.